What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Max Engine rpm

Mweaver6

I'm New Here
On doing a max rpm check on an iS engine, I can only get 5200 indicated max rpm on the efis. I?m thinking the prop pitch may be contributing to this, however on rechecking the pitch measurement also appears correct to the iS angle setting. The fully open position of the throttle stop is being achieved ( visually) and getting 100% on the efis. On pulling throttle back to tick tick over the low rpm is reading 200 rpm below the recommended low limit. Any thoughts please

I'm sure the experts will chime in but it sounds like it is right where it should be for a run up on the ground.

You won't get to 5500 until you are flying. I think the prop pitch is designed to get around 5300 in the ECO mode during cruise.

Just for reference my ground max is about 5160.

Last edited:
On doing a max rpm check on an iS engine, I can only get 5200 indicated max rpm on the efis. I?m thinking the prop pitch may be contributing to this, however on rechecking the pitch measurement also appears correct to the iS angle setting. The fully open position of the throttle stop is being achieved ( visually) and getting 100% on the efis. On pulling throttle back to tick tick over the low rpm is reading 200 rpm below the recommended low limit. Any thoughts please

If this is a static run up on the ground you wont get anywhere near max. RPM. That will only happen in flight. 5200 for a ground static at WOT is an ok starting point.

The idle speed setting from the factory is a general setting that is typically low for the high pitch we use on the prop for and RV-12.

It should be adjusted to about 1650 when the engine is at full operating temp. That is hard to obtain so it is usually best set it a little low and then expect it to increase when oil temp is in the 180-190 range.

pulling 5100

If this is a static run up on the ground you wont get anywhere near max. RPM. That will only happen in flight. 5200 for a ground static at WOT is an ok starting point.

The idle speed setting from the factory is a general setting that is typically low for the high pitch we use on the prop for and RV-12.

It should be adjusted to about 1650 when the engine is at full operating temp. That is hard to obtain so it is usually best set it a little low and then expect it to increase when oil temp is in the 180-190 range.

If I'm pulling 5100 at max power. Is that OKAY or should I repitch to get the extra 100RPM?

Back