What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When to drill/dimple the aft bottom skin for the F-729 bellcrank rib?

Draker

Well Known Member
When final drilling the aft bulkheads to the aft bottom and side skins: The destructions are clear to not final drill the F-706 bulkhead to the skins (this gets done later, got it). What about the attached F-729A bellcrank rib? I think it would be good to drill and dimple this part of the skin now, because it will be more difficult to dimple the skin once the aft fuselage is riveted together. I can't find any mention about when to final drill the bellcrank rib, and if I can dimple the skin now rather than later. Any ideas?

Bell rank rib

I can't remember exactly but I know it was drilled before the fuse was disassembled for dumpling, priming, etc.

Yep drill and dimple now. Also please look for any potential rivet clearance issues with this part and the F-728A channel. I can't tell you how mad this made me when I already had it riveted! This link is from someone else on the forum of what I'm talking about, really wish I had seen this ahead of time. Most people relieve these flanges just a bit where there is interference.

Thanks. Yea, I took everything apart already to debur and dimple, but may re-assemble just that bulkhead to drill the bellcrank rib. Seems worth it to me.

Back