What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Long -14A non-stop...

bmarvel

Well Known Member
Friend
For those of you still building and needing motivation or for those wondering about -14A performance, here's something more to look at.

I've got 330 hours on ours now in two years. Two days ago we flew it nonstop from home base in Grand Junction, CO to Torrance, CA (KGJT-KTOA), by far our longest non-stop trip.

IFR routing was via airways at 12,000 to 14,000 with a 30 knot headwind. We had three minor route revisions from ATC along the way so the trip ended up being 596 NM. Total flight time was 5.1 hours.

My red cube totalizer has never held accuracy very long and showed us landing with 10 gallons fuel remaining. The much more accurate float sensors in the tanks showed 15 remaining, or almost two hours reserve after 5 hours in the air.

When I refueled in Torrance the pump agreed with the float sensors and indicated the airplane took 36 gallons to top off both tanks so the actual reserve was 14 gallons.

Average ground speed was 120 knots given about a 150 knot TAS at those altitudes (approx. 50% power) so fuel burn was just a little more than 7 GPH at full throttle and 2300 RPM.

This is just a normal RV-14A kit airplane with IO-390 and Sensenich CS prop, built per the plans. There is no added fuel capacity. So far it has been trouble free and continues to impress me with its performance.

Thanks for the feedback.
Just wondering why your red cube is so inaccurate? On my old RV7, it was accurate do a 0.3 G repeatedly. BTW, I pretty much made the same trip, only from CA to CO, none-stop in our 7A. It is a lot of fun and good country side to see.

The stated performance numbers at 12-14k' have me scratching my head a bit. A tad worse than our -9 at that altitude.

Thanks for the data, my 7 is just the opposite, the gauges ( Vans/SW floats) are only accurate under 10 gal and the red cube totalizer has been accurate within a couple of tenths each fill up. Even down to 6 gal out of 42 gal (a test).

You might want to find out why yours is not performing well. You have likely already checked most of these

Possible causes:

incorrect setting in the EFIS - if consistently off the same amount-
poor electrical connection - don't use the fast-on connectors. (solder works)
location - some vapor in the fuel - after the servo
leak - some vapor in the fuel
installation position or fittings or mechanical vibration
bad transducer

I am pretty sure it is the last one -- bad transducer. I have calibrated it several times and it is initially very accurate. Then it fades off later. Called EI and they looked at pix of my install and said it was just fine.

Had a different sender in my -8A and it was spot on the entire time we owned the airplane. Will switch to a replacement cube at the annual.

The stated performance numbers at 12-14k' have me scratching my head a bit. A tad worse than our -9 at that altitude.

50% power. 7 GPH. Most folks getting 165-170Kt at higher fuel flow and power settings - I think OP's point was the endurance at economy fuel flow settings. And it's totally consistent with published performance #'s on Van's website.

Last edited:

50% power. 7 GPH. Most folks getting 165-170Kt with at higher fuel flow and power settings - I think OP's point was the endurance at economy fuel flow settings. And it's totally consistent with published performance #'s on Van's website.

These numbers align well with my experience and I suspect mine is a bit slow due to larger wheels and fairings. As far as comparing to a -9 the -14 is larger and heavier so it would be difficult to be as efficient. I can say Vans provided a very good plarform no matter which one you choose.

Some more data from a 600 NM trip I took last month. Absolute comparisons across airplanes might be tough given the variations in accuracy.

163 KTAS
62% power
11500 (density 13367)
2450 RPM
19.9" MAP
9.5 GPH

145 KTAS
54% power
6600 (density 9398)
2150 RPM
21.3" MAP
7.1 GPH

130 KTAS
41% power
7100 (picture of EFIS didn't capture density alt but probably around 10,000 - it was hot)
1970 RPM
19.4" MAP
6.1 GPH

My red cube error is larger the more I use but it's always below a 1 gallon difference when I refill the tanks.

Last edited:
Back