What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

APRS Drawing

bsacks05

Well Known Member
Does anyone have an drawing or schematic of their APRS RV setup? I'm pretty sure I know how it works but would like to see some ideas especially when it comes to power supplies and the use of a GPS puck such as the GPS1 from Byonics.

Here you go

Bruce,

Here is the simple circuit. If you go with the MT300, you can take the microvolt out of the picture.

arpspn9.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Pete,

So the GPS gets power from the MT300 board through the DB-9 connector?
Also, do I power the MT300 directly with 12vdc or do I need a power adaptor?
One more, If I get the VHF antenna from Byonics can I bend it like a comm antenna for the belly?

This is really cool technology and I can't wait to try it.
Now to study for the technician's test. :)

Answers

See answers below......

Thank you Pete,

So the GPS gets power from the MT300 board through the DB-9 connector? Yes

Also, do I power the MT300 directly with 12vdc or do I need a power adaptor? MT 8000 needs an adapter to take any thing above 12V down to 12V, MT300 can be run from ship's power

One more, If I get the VHF antenna from Byonics can I bend it like a comm antenna for the belly? It is really thin. I don't think it would work well as a belly mount - has anybody done this?

This is really cool technology and I can't wait to try it.
Now to study for the technician's test. Test is cake, take a few practice exams on the web and go for it :)

belly antenna

One more, If I get the VHF antenna from Byonics can I bend it like a comm antenna for the belly? It is really thin. I don't think it would work well as a belly mount - has anybody done this?

I don't know how the thin whip would perform, but there are alternatives. You could always shorten one of the cheaper (a.k.a. porcelain insulator style)belly mount bent whips to 19 1/2", you can buy an antenna specifically made for 144-148 MHz (I think they make them for CAP), or you could build one from scratch like Sam did.

Paige
RV-8A

Thanks for the help. I'm placing my order soon. Just wanted to be sure to get everything I need and nothing I don't.

Soon you'll be tracking my weekly fuel runs and local wanderings!

Back