What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can I cut this?

punkin

Well Known Member
Actually, drill it. Please don't flame me if this question is stupid, I'm not a builder, nor an engineer!

I would like to run a piece of flexible conduit through my wing in the holes aft of the holes where the aileron controls go through.

Would it be kosher to drill a hole 1/2" or 3/4" and put a grommet to come into the cockpit? The hole would be basically just aft of the little black vertical scribble I made in this picture, aligned with the front of the hole in the wing ribs.

0195D5F7-3D07-46D3-B5E8-977F26FA543E_zpskkg9ixuk.jpg

Have you investigated/determined why your aileron pushrod is scratched up? Needless to say, that's a pretty significant issue.

What Michael directed you to on the topic of the original post.

Thanks, but...

I don't actually need to drill the wing ribs, just the skin of the fuselage and that one interior cockpit support.

Following the rib logic though, it would seem I'd be pretty safe with a 1/2" hole on the support I'm indicating, I just want to be sure I'm not missing something...

Thanks for the quick reply!

The control tube

The control tube scratches must be from early in the tube's life and has been rectified. It of course caught the eye of the technician doing my condition inspection, but there is no movement of the controls at this time that gets the push tube anywhere near touching anything... Only conjecture on my part but I would assume the builder flew it, noticed on an issue, and corrected it.

Last edited:
I think I would be inclined to paint over those scratches, even with a brush, and check them again after a few flights or maybe at next year's annual inspection. Just to confirm that some dynamic effect isn't coming into play in flight, that you can't find on the ground.

I think I would be inclined to paint over those scratches, even with a brush, and check them again after a few flights or maybe at next year's annual inspection. Just to confirm that some dynamic effect isn't coming into play in flight, that you can't find on the ground.

Glad to hear nothing is rubbing, but I would concur with the above. You need to be able to confirm in the future that the problem hasn't reoccured.

Painted the tube...

I stuffed some paper towels down in to protect a bit, and went ahead and sprayed some color on the tube so I can reinspect in a few hours. I agree, it seems prudent to be certain; I stuck my face down there and moved everything and I've got better than 1/4" of clearance in every direction on the ground.

Anyone have any input on my original question?

Thanks,
Scott

Assuming that you meant the mark at the white arrow and not the one at the red arrow, my guess, without knowing anything about the structure there (a rather large caveat, eh?), is that yes, provided you leave an edge distance of 2D.

I sure don't think that a hole that big would be acceptable at the mark at the red arrow.

That's measured from the center of the hole to, in this case, the radius at the flanges.

Also, if those marks are pencil, they should be removed. Pencil marking have been found to cause corrosion between the underlying metal and the graphite in the mark.

fji1di.jpg

Dave

Back