What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Big People Mods for RV-6

Bighorn

All

Just wondering what mods are available on the RV6 for a 6' 3" 275 lb man

his wife is much much smaller.

Extended rudders, seat mods, raised pannel ?

Appreciate your thoughts.

I will be able to go and sit in one this next week but also want to know some options.

Thanks
Willie

Thanks for the suggestion. Not really interested in the 14 also really don't care to spend that kind of money and there are non or very few ones on ethe market and I'm not a builder, I want to fly. I like a plane for cross country. If I want to do acro I have have a stearman with a PW 985 450 hp that suits me fine

Thanks HG

That is exactly the kind of stuff that I was looking for.

Cool guy that made it. Nice Video on it too!

Thanks abunch

Willie

AntiSplat " Almost a 14"

Almost a 14 made a huge difference in my 6A. From being cramped to really comfortable. A good investment. :)
Also although they look great, no plastic upholstered side panels. Just some fabric and padding on the armrests gives maximum cabin space.

After installing the amost a 14 kit you can add a 4th row of hinge halves to the seat pan for the bottom of the seat back.

big/tall RV6 mods

Also you can put a spacer in under the main hoop of slider. I did 1/4", but I imagine you could go bigger. That increases the headroom a bit. Obviously you have to do that as you are initially building the canopy, not later.

I installed the Almost-a-14 mod in my -6, and couldn't be happier! It is literally amazing how much more comfortable the seating and headroom are, for such a relatively minor change.

I now have to sit on an extra cushion to see out properly. The mod "lays" the seat-back down and backward, and it seems to make all the difference.

Also, if your passenger/co-pilot is on the small side, they can keep their seat-back tilted forward, which makes the shoulder-room better.

Wouldn't do without it!! :):cool:

(6'2, 240 lbs, but short legs and tall torso)

Thanks again everyone for all the good tips. I spent alot of time reading about all the different models but was just about to give up on the RV.

I glad I finally got enough gumption up to ask a few questions, thanks for being patient with a newbie :)

After installing the amost a 14 kit you can add a 4th row of hinge halves to the seat pan for the bottom of the seat back.

I've done this in a -9A and it worked great. I'm hoping to add this mod to my -6A soon too.

long legs

Remember the air vent can be a knee knocker and limit movement on long cross countries. Mine is located under the panel obviously within reach and between my legs on a hinged panel. Works great.

6'4"+, 215. I have a slider 6 with my own version of the "almost a 14" mod. Moved the last seat bottom hinge back about two inches. No extension on bottom of panel. No side panels. Also have rudder pedals pretty far forward.

I have also notched out the "flange" on the top of the fuse sides at the shoulder. My cabin is now actually 1/2" wider than a 7 at the shoulder.

Pretty comfy. I find that the ability to slide my feet under and to the right of the pedals (no center console) allows me to get a little more stretch and move around a bit on long legs.

The seat back mod and having thin seat cushions makes a world of difference. All the little stuff adds up to make a big difference.

Last edited:
Almost 14

I took out the center brace from the panel to the floor and added a brace from back of panel to subpanel to firewall and now have room for my knees. I am 6'4'' tall and weigh 235. I have flown it 21 years like this and love it.

I'm 6'4" about 265. My RV-6A isn't flying yet, but I have spent plenty of time in the seats making airplane noises. The Almost 14 mod made a world of difference for me, plus the pedals are pushed well forward for my long legs.

I don't know where in Texas you are, but you are welcome to come sit in the plane and make some airplane noises for yourself. I am located in Plano. Just shoot me an e-mail or PM.

I am 6'3+ and have an RV6

I built my RV without the center support, substituting a two part folding support from the left longeron. This was great in that it provided additional legroom, but since the rudder pedals can be moved forward only so far, the tendency is for my right leg to be partially on the passenger side.

I simple fix was to sew up a padded strap with hooks on both ends to fit between the bottom center of the panel and the seat pan just to the right of my leg. (Think of one of those dufflebag straps except only a foot or so long). That provides something soft for my leg to rest against.

I also added the 'Almost a 14' mod to my -6a, but it was not as easy to do on my -6 as it is a -7. That is because my wiring runs passed through a piece that has to be removed in the installation.

John Allen

Back