What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternator wiring detail

Graham

Hi,

I am about to wire my vans supplied ND 60A alternator i.a.w the Vans supplied instructions, i.e. 1 wire.
My question is are builders joining the J2 18G wire direct to the somewhat fatter green wire which sticks out of the round plug. Or can the green wire be pulled out of the round plug & the J2 wire inserted back in to replace it. Or is the round plug left out & the J2 plug spade terminal put directly into the alternator receptacle???

I do realise that there is also the option of a warning light but that does nor affect my question.

Thank You
Graham
Finishing RV6.
New Zealand.

prepare for high vibation

I can't help on the wire number questions, but I can say from experience with several RV's: plane engines and plane alternators are subject to much more vibration than automobiles, so best to use the rubber plug so wires don't fall off the spades after a few years.

Looks like I have answered my own question.

I took the circular plug with three wires coming out to the local auto electrician & they prised the wires out using a small screwdriver. The wires are terminated in a female spade terminal with a "latching" tang sticking out underneath it. But the tang wasn't actually holding it in place, I think its the shape of the plastic slot that retains it.

Will fit the same type of terminal to my aircraft wiring & insert them back in the barrel.

Sorry to bother you all on such a simple matter. Enjoy your Monday holiday, it's already Monday here in NZ.

Graham

Back