What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riblets in elevator and trim tab

OLDSAM

Well Known Member
I noted on a web site where one builder, instead of bending the ends of the trim tab and the adjoing face of the elevator, cut off the parts to be bent, and installed riblets in the space instead. Anybody have any experience with this; are the riblets available anywhere, or just fabricated to fit from aluminum sheet?

I noted on a web site where one builder, instead of bending the ends of the trim tab and the adjoing face of the elevator, cut off the parts to be bent, and installed riblets in the space instead. Anybody have any experience with this; are the riblets available anywhere, or just fabricated to fit from aluminum sheet?

One builder? It shouldn't be too hard to find dozen of them who has adopted this. As far as I know there is no ready-made piece so at least I did it from the sheet for the elevator. Took two attempts to get bends as desired...

In case of trib tab, I didn't bother. If it starts to crack, you can build new one easily and it won't be even too costly which is not the case in the elevator.

I'm one of those builders. I made the riblets out of E-703 full-grown ribs :). Here's a link to my log: http://www.rv8alog.com/empennage/elevators/Left/e8.htm

I just took some of the trim stock that came with the kit. I made a template from card board to get the angle about right. I drew the template to the metal, then allowed for the bend radious using the TLAR method and starting bending metal. Took me a few tries, mostly because I ended up with too small of flanges for rivets.
Rick Maury

This may help.

I posted this a week ago, you may like how it worked you may not, but with patience it worked and looked great for me.

I did not build riblets.

Visit this thread.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=27693

elvtabend.jpg

Last edited:
I built riblets for my trim tab fro .025 stock too. Made forms from hardwood and after many iterations, I had a pattern that works well. Let me know if you'd like to borrow the forms and patterns.

Check our my kitlog entry at http://www.mykitlog.com/frazitl/ on 4-18-2006.

display_log.php

Not sure what you mean by "closing the end" on the trim tab. I made riblets as shown by bending over a form. They were set up so the flat side of the riblet was flush with the edges of the trim tab on both sides. Kind of time consuming, but I was able to squeeze most of the rivets with a no hole squeezer. I had to use blind rivets on some of the holes for the bottom of the trim tab.

Terry

riblets

I have made forms on my mill to the angles needed. I sell the set of three for $25.00 if you are interested. Note, they must be sized, fitted and drilled as no two aircraft are the same.

Dave Nellis

Riblet pattern

I built riblets for my trim tab fro .025 stock too. Made forms from hardwood and after many iterations, I had a pattern that works well. Let me know if you'd like to borrow the forms and patterns.

Check our my kitlog entry at http://www.mykitlog.com/frazitl/ on 4-18-2006.

display_log.php

Terry the elevator/ trim tab riblets look great! Do you still have a pattern you can share? If so can you email to [email protected] ? Thanks!

I did riblets, too, back in the day, worried that I'd mess up the bend.

But now, with the tail, wings, and most of the fuse behind me, I'd wouldn't think twice about bending them now that I have confidence in my skills and practiced on all those parts in the scrap bin.

I made a wood form on the saw and bent them, just like they show you in the books. Worked great as well.

Riblets

I made hardwood forms and made about six sets and sold five. No interest after that. Forms have walked away somewhere in my basement. If you want to make your own riblets, make one form at 10* and the other at 11*.

Back