What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

flap setting for take off

david.perl

Well Known Member
Ive just been signed off on my 7A

the test pilot suggested i take off with 20 degrees flaps for all take offs, not just short field. Trouble is i easily get a flap overspeed if i dont climb steep enough or retracts the flaps soon enough.

Im curious if others use some flaps for take off?

thxs

David

I have a 6A

I do in mine. I suppose the 7 is much the same. It will spend less time on the ground of course as it will fly at a lower speed, but regardless of that, I like the way it transitions from rolling to flying. Just feels nicer, more positive, with a notch.

Long thread on this

There was a long thread on this subject a while ago, probably find with the search function. Seemed like a 50/50 split between flaps vs no flaps. I didn't use them, then started using them and now I only use them for short field or when loaded 2 up and baggage as it get the tail up quicker (RV-7)

I use them for every takeoff. Less time on the ground and less tire wear. I raise them once I have cleared obstacles.

Optimum setting is 15?. Hint; push the stick to one side and align flaps to the lowered aileron.

By using them for every takeoff, you develop a habit and reduce the chance of forgetting them when using them occasionally.

Ive been using 16*. I prefer to lift off my grass runway quicker. If I had a nice long asphalt runway, I probably wouldn't use any.:cool:

I've done it both ways and settled on 10 all the time. Its not my choice, zero would be simple, but the airplane definitely likes some flap for take off.

Retracting same becomes a habit, like pulling your zipper up after peeing. :)

Great safety

on shorter fields or those surrounded by city. Climb steep at 75 knts and retract at 1000 agl. 15 to 20 degrees works good for me. Then I climb at 125 knots to keep cylinders cool. Purpose of flaps on take off is to get maximum safe altitude before leaving airport boundary. It also reduces distance of take off roll, but that is usually secondary for safety.

Last edited:
By the time I get the power in - I am airborne......

Nice and slow, 3-4 seconds to full power.

Never use flaps for take off - utterly pointless unless you are sub 1500' grass.

That said - I have an IO-360 with an MT 3 blade c/s prop which helps.

If you are on a fixed pitch - re evaluate for your location.

Similarly - never use full flap for landing unless performance limited - nor full fine.

Get much sweeter landings that way - say 2/3rd flap and keep the prop at 2300 on descent - leave through to landing.

Still need an engine for my -7A but, in my Cherokee 140 with 150 HP and 2150 gross weight on a 2700 foot runway, I only use 10 degrees when heavy and hot (high DA). I might, on occasion, use 25 degrees (second notch) if very close to gross on a hot day. Flaps are raised slowly (Johnson bar) when passing through Vy and above obstacles.

Temps right now are in the mid 60s during the day no flaps needed unless I just want to practice short field take-offs, which is good to do now and then.

Landing is always 25 degrees unless I need to bleed off some speed on final, then 40.

Last edited:
The 8 I used to fly suffered from flap failure occasionally, I have not had this happen on the 7 so far, but for this reason I tend not to use flap unless I need it for runway length, annoying if you are going somewhere and the flaps stay down after TO!

I use them for every takeoff. Less time on the ground and less tire wear. I raise them once I have cleared obstacles.

Optimum setting is 15?. Hint; push the stick to one side and align flaps to the lowered aileron.

By using them for every takeoff, you develop a habit and reduce the chance of forgetting them when using them occasionally.

Mel, so with full deflection of aileron, that is 20 degrees? seems like that is more than 20. I have been using much less. However, I did as you suggested and got off the ground much quicker.

Mel, so with full deflection of aileron, that is 20 degrees? seems like that is more than 20. I have been using much less. However, I did as you suggested and got off the ground much quicker.

I believe that full "down" deflection of ailerons should be 15?.

Zero for TO. Our 7's depart earth so quickly (200+hp/CS) flaps are just a bother when quickly passing through the Vs - Vso band. As to unsticking quicker, e.g. soft or rough surface, yeah, maybe, I'm not that good a pilot to notice the difference bouncing through the roll, and it's untested; nor can I tell you to what degree flaps will alter Vx if faced with obstacles. One less thing to think about when surprises take priority over dubious rewards.

Since landings are mandatory, I always use full flaps, even in bad crosswinds. I prefer minimum touch-down speed with familiar descent profiles that use the least runway, touching down exactly where I aim. It's habit, and reduces pucker factor if faced with the need for slow and short not usually practiced.

John Siebold

Shamelessly stolen from Red Green "Man's Prayer"

Use your flaps, on takeoff, if you have to, I guess........:)

Back