What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A fuel tank dipstick

jhk770

Since there isn't any "tabs" or "rings" in the RV fuel tanks. Does anybody have the measurements to make a dip stick or a conversion table for a universal fuel tank dip stick for a RV7A that they can send me? I would like to be more precise with how much fuel I have in my tanks rather than just "eye balling" it.

Thanks,

Jim
RV7A

I built my own using 3/4" square x 10" dowels. I emptied a tank, then poured 2 gallons in at a time, dipped the tank, and marked the lines with black sharpee. Did this all the way to the 20 gallon point. Once the marks were done, I sawed a scribe line into each mark. Once it was done, I checked it against my other tank, 2 gallons at a time. They are VERY precise because they're calibrated to my RV-7A's tanks.

I made 2 of these: One for the hangar and one for my XC bag. Easy project.

What we did, and its not real fancy, is get one of those wooden paint stirring paddles from the hardware store. Start with empty tanks, pour in a known amount of fuel, dip and mark the stick. We did 5 gallon increments.

You could also get some clear tube, like a big straw, but either way, I would suggest making one for your specific plane and even each tank.

Dipsticks

Just did this on a 9A & a 6A. Both planes had did different measurements for left & right tanks. Dipsticks fabbed from 1" wide strip of .032 alum and are stamped "L" on one side "R" on the other. I marked off 4 gallon increments to approximate 1/2 hr Flt time at lean cruise. Automatic center punch makes decent "engraving" tool for lines and letters. Didn't do this but a vertical row of drilled #40 holes with close spacing would hold the fuel level long enough to read it.

Don B

Rv9 rebuild in Progress

How much fuel is there in an RV-7 tank when the fuel shows up under the filler?

Miles,
On my 7A, I have been using 8 gallons as the value for when the fuel just touches the bottom of the outboard external rib of the tank. I welcome any corrections to this since I did the measurement a long time ago and I don't think I noted it anywhere. Of course, it should be different for a tail dragger since the tank orientation is different while on the ground. (I would guess a lesser value).

I'll stop by the hangar tonight and get them and post them here.

Here you go. The measurement point is with the stick up against the BACK of the filler.

26/32" - 5.5 gallons
1 1/4" - 7 gallons
1 26/32" - 9.5 gallons
2 13/32"- 12 gallons
2 30/32" - 14.2 gallons
3 1/2" - 16 gallons
4 2/32" - 17.5 gallons
4 20/32" - 18.5 gallons
4 28/32" - 19 gallons
5 1/4" - 19.5 gallons
5 20/32 - 20 gallons

Back