What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gascolator Installation in RV-10

Pietflyer

I'm New Here
I have an O-540-A1D5 engine for my RV-10. Yes, it has a carburetor. Since it doesn't require the high pressure fuel pump of a fuel injected engine, it also does not require the ES Airflow Fuel Filter. I have opted to install a simple gascolator on the firewall, but am having trouble finding a good place to mount it that will be the lowest point in the fuel system, easy to service, and clear of the engine mount. Has any one used a gascolator on an RV-10, and if so, where did you mount it?

It doesn't need to be the lowest point in the fuel system. The shape and fuel path through the gascolator will separate any debris and water. So find a location that satisfies your other criteria.

I have a carb'd RV-6 with a gascolator. If I had a do-over, I would not install a gascolator. On a -10, if I was doing gascolators, I'd place them in the wing roots.

Gascolator placement.

The number of posts on gascolators is almost as long as the endless discussions on primers.
I am in the firm "no gascolator needed column but I am not trying to dissuade you from installing this unneeded piece of equipment, rather I am trying to make sure you do not pick the worst place to install it.
The engine compartment is the last place for a gascolator for a number of reasons. The wing root on the 10 is somewhat crowded forward of the main spar and installing even a small gascolator in that location will be a real challenge. My 10 has 2 inline filters installed under the front seats, one for each tank. The tunnel is crowded as well and depending on how much equipment you install on top of the tunnel, it is a very uncomfortable place to service anything.
The area under the front seats is very easily accessible and there is opportunity to install a gascolator with the drain valve protruding out the bottom. While this spot is easily accessible, removing the gascolator bowl for service is another challenge to consider.
You might want to give this gascolator idea some more thought and opt instead for a fuel filter.

Here is a link:
i8r7hAHQgrdrKDao7
https://goo.gl/photos/i8r7hAHQgrdrKDao7
The filters are secured by a hold down bracket and a stainless steel clamp.

These are AFP filters and recommended by the manufacturer of the AFP fuel injection system. They certainly are good enough for anyone using a carburetor.
Here is a link to their webstore:
http://airflowperformance.com/index.php/product-category/pump-filters/
Vans sells the same filters as well.

Back