What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Odyssey battery kit

togaflyer

Well Known Member
I plan to go with the Odyssey battery instead of the Concord battery. Do I need to order the battery bracket kit from Van's or is there a simple way to modify the stanndard battery tray for the Odyssey battery.

You don't need to actually mod the box per se for the 925 battery. A simple wood block is all that's needed to achieve a nice fit as the battery width(tray fore-aft) is about 3/4" to 1" shorter than the tray. The depth (tray left-right) is fine as is.

Another idea to save weight might be a piece of hard foam?

Any handy material that you can fab a spacer out of will work. The wood block I used is like 1"x3"x3/4" and painted weighs an oz, maybe 2 at the most. So unless you fab it out of steel, weight is not a concern. Even if it did add weight, weight in the back of a 10 is a good thing to some degree.

Last edited:
Mod

We just modified the stock bracket... (But for two PC680s). Pretty simple.
I looked through 1000 pictures and I don't have one that shows it:(

On the Van's WEB site its fifty dollars for the battery mod kit. Maybe its got gold trim on it or something. I will go with the your ideas. John, if you can get a photo that would be great.

Eric, this is what I found on the Vans sites. And why my question for the group.

Installation Kit for Odyssey battery
Part Number = ES PC680 INSTALL KIT
Price = $50.00
QuantitySubmit

Last edited:
What all does it contain???

I used a PC 925 in my 10------made up a piece of angle stock to trap the battery in place.

Pretty sure that's the steel battery box kit used to mount PC-680s on the 2seat RV firewalls.

Bob

Modification of the battery tray is pretty easy.

I modeled mine after Bill Watson did his. You should be able to see photos of both on our mykitlog.com build sites.

I have two 680s, so I had to change the dimensions a bit.

Pics

So here's what we did.. Made a tray large enough to hold two PC680s with a divider so they don't touch, for cooling. Pretty simple.
(Wiring is still in progress and a bunch of that is waiting for a home, so it's messy right now)

Here is a picture of my modification for the 925. Pretty simple I just added the
aluminum angle to the stock battery tray.
0_0_a6f76c1f44a31c7a43f91c8812ec2181_1

Geoff

Geoff, thanks for the photo. Im going with the single battery set up and thats simple enough to modify. If I was going with two batteries, The photo's John sent looks like it would be the way to go. Once again, thanks all. As always, your expertise it priceless.

I'm just at the point of final assembling the tailcone now.
I really haven't put a ton of thought into the electrical system just yet.

I assume most of you guys just leave the battery tray stock for now and then come back
and do any mods needed if you decide to go the dual battery route, or chose a single battery that doesn't fit the stock tray?

Back