What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Two rivets blocking oil cooler mount - remove?

sritchie

Well Known Member
I finished up the initial work for my oil cooler mount, but when I went to rivet it on I found that two of the rivets are already set! I don't have the plans handy, but you can see the piece taking up the two rivets, as well as the other holes for the oil cooler, on this picture:

10956463_1607922116111402_2111292180_n.jpg

The plans don't say anything about leaving those holes empty, but that must be a mistake. Is there something I'm missing, or should I just do the obvious and drill these two out?

Thanks!

No QB here, but it looks like I'm gonna be removing a couple rivets in my future. I know I have that piece installed just as you've pictured.

If you look at page 27-5 where that doubler piece is installed, the rivets called out in those 2 locations are AN426AD4-4.

Checking the plans, the actual oil cooler is installed in the firewall forward section. Reference FF1-2 step 6 those two rivets get bumped up to AN426AD4-5 in Figure 3. Like many others, I included the oil cooler assembly box in my fuselage kit and have it ready to rivet in place now before that area gets crowded.

No big deal.

Last edited:
Back