What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What is Hook on Nose Strut used for?

Piper J3

Well Known Member
There is a welded heavy wire hook on top of the nose strut located just above the wheel. What is this used for? Is it for towing the aircraft in the forward direction? Anybody use it?

I think it to use if the plane is trailered. I thought about cutting it off before fabricating the nose leg fairing. However, since I built the plane as an ELSA, I decided to leave the hook in place.

As a tie down

I've not experienced this but I recall when others had issues when parked into the wind, if the wind was strong enough, it would push the tail into the ground. At Oshkosh one year I saw were someone used the front pull location to tie down the gear with a stake on both sides and a rope threaded through the ring. I've seen pictures of holding structures guys have made to support the tail, and this plane, with the front tied down, didn't have the tail supported.

It probably would help the tail down if the stick was secured full aft with the seat belt.

Just wondering if this tie down method is used and if tail support is common for the 12 drivers who travel more and need to tie down outside.

Prefer nose tie down

If at all possible, I tie the nose down for the reasons you mention when traveling and leaving the aircraft outside over night. On grass its usually possible, but a lot of hard surfaces are designed for wing and tail tie downs only.

Back