What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Re-Registering Experimental _AFTER_ registration cancellation

BruceMe

Well Known Member
I'm interested in buying a project RV with paper problems.

It has transferred ownership through two estates without an FAA registration update. I can get written provenance of ownership, but registration is pending cancellation and a transfer of ownership at this late date/complexity is unlikely.

I've done a lot of research, the only reference I can find is to normally certificated aircraft re-registration for the same owner and it's messy.

Has anyone here actually taken a de-registered homebuilt and gotten the paperwork fixed? Please let me know.

Is there a process for getting registration and airworthiness here?

Thanks,

-Bruce

Is all paperwork lost?

You need a paper trail of ownership from the last registered owner to you. Basically, a line of Bills of Sale is acceptable. For example, a BOS from registered owner to Party B, a BOS from Party B to Party C, a BOS from Party C to Party D, then a BOS from Party D to you. Send that in with an application for registration and you're good to go. If the registration has expired, you can't operate on the pink slip. You have to wait until the FAA issues a registration. If your Registration Application is dated before the existing one expires, then you can operate on the pink slip for 90 days or until the FAA copy arrives, whichever is shorter.

Great info thanks, I may still buy it at a lower price for the engine core and parts. 51% and all

Back