What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder bolts

CHA

I am having trouble with my rudder hinges. The bolts require way too much force to screw into the nut plates. Do the nut plates need to be taped. I have noted other threads where tie hinge bolts have not been fully threaded into the nut plate. Help me Thanks CHS

Charles since no experts chimed in I'd try. If you are talking about three rod end bearings then yes they have to be tight assuming no cross threading. Make a tool from leftover pipe to facilitate their adjustments. Do not tap the nut plates. Smear a bit of Boelube or similar on rod ends. Adjust/lineup the rudder per Vans instructions, torque tighten the jam nuts and you are the champion!

I had one of the nutplates on my rudder refuse to thread onto the rod end bearing. I ended up getting a tap to put on the nutplate just enough to get the threads engaged, but not deep enough to reduce the self locking tension. The nutplate threads just needed to be a bit crisper to engage the bolt threads.

Im working on mine too and im not impressed, they are clearly not round. How is that aircraft grade? I also torqued the bolts on the horizontal stabilizer and I broke one of the bolts because I was using a cheap torque wrench. The bolt broke at a pretty low amount of force, much lower than I have experienced with similar sized automotive bolts. I bought new bolts and a $200 torque wrench to make sure it was correct, but I feel like grade 8 bolts from the hardware store are stronger. Im not saying they are or that I will change them, Im just saying Im not too impressed with the hardware quality.

BoeLube. Make tool from PVC pipe notched to fit over rod bearing, glue PVC tee on other end. Align bearings with weighted dental floss through holes. Test fit control surface. Tighten jam nut after proper fit.

Im working on mine too and im not impressed, they are clearly not round. How is that aircraft grade? I also torqued the bolts on the horizontal stabilizer and I broke one of the bolts because I was using a cheap torque wrench. The bolt broke at a pretty low amount of force, much lower than I have experienced with similar sized automotive bolts. I bought new bolts and a $200 torque wrench to make sure it was correct, but I feel like grade 8 bolts from the hardware store are stronger. Im not saying they are or that I will change them, Im just saying Im not too impressed with the hardware quality.

Yea, they're not supposed to be round ... that's their self-locking magic (of sorts). The locking effect comes from the out of round nut plates. A bit of boelube helps get the rod ends started.

Rudder bolt hinges

Thanks for the feed back. I was afraid I would shear the rivets when the bolt was torqued down. Thanks CHS

Back