What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Be-a-Pilot Day Smithsonian

Joel Medeiros

Patron
Saturday I had the privilege of participating in the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum's Be a Pilot Day. Flying my airplane to Dulles airport Saturday morning I was able to display it on the Museum Ramp with 30 other aircraft, including a United 777. During the event I had over thirty children of all ages (2 thru 60) sit in the cockpit to experience what it is like to fly in a small aircraft. This was an experience I will not soon forget

IMG_0075_zpscc75f57c.jpg

IMG_0079_zpsb00e2db9.jpg

IMG_0082_zps71bab790.jpg

IMG_0087_zps7dd46e15.jpg

Last edited:
Fun

I was able to go with a friend who was invited to bring his Searey. It was funny to see this whole line of heavys holding for us to land. We were on final at 50kts. We could have landed across the wide runway. I could only imagine what the people looking out the windows were thinking.

The served us breakfast and we were able to browse the museum before the event started.
I also got to meet Martha King. I told here that I watched her videos so much when I was learning to fly back in the 90's that my wife called her the other woman.

Round about approack

The trip to Dulles was uneventful until I contacted Potomac Approach for clearance into the SFRA. After receiving my squawk code I was told to remain out of the SFRA. It was close to 20 minutes of circling north of Leesburg prior to being vectored well south before turning final. It turns out there was a flight of four (2 - Stermans, 1- Fleet, 1 - light sport ) that were battling a head wind of 26 Knots while only indicating 80. This made for a very long final holding up the rest of the conga line.

Untitled_zpsfaa4c116.jpg

Good Job!

Good job Joel.

Who knows, you may have had a kid in your airplane who someday, may be the 1st person to set foot on the planet Mars. And they'll credit that aviator who took the time to share their airplane way back when and allowed a young kid an opportunity to dare to imagine!

Back