What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Rotax engine 25 hour inspection

Top Cat

Well Known Member
Can anyone outline the requirements for the initial 25 hour oil change/inspection on a new Rotax engine? I understand that it's required for the Rotax engine warranty but I was also wondering what it entails and what it might cost. How long does it take?

Plus what is the range of time required to complete it..eg. between 25 and 45 hours for example.

Just curious. Thanks.

Can anyone outline the requirements for the initial 25 hour oil change/inspection on a new Rotax engine? I understand that it's required for the Rotax engine warranty but I was also wondering what it entails and what it might cost. How long does it take?

Plus what is the range of time required to complete it..eg. between 25 and 45 hours for example.

Just curious. Thanks.

Rotax Line Maintenance Manual (Section 05-20-00, contains the requirement to perform the first general inspection at 25 hours and then every 100 hours, other specific item intervals are listed)

See this earlier thread http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=65004

David,

Thanks very much. I just spoke with a Rotax shop about it too. Wanted to get input from builders and owners too.

I had heard that not complying with the first 25 hour check can invalidate Rotax warranty, not sure about that.

Thanks again!

The Rotax 25 hr. is required. It is more or less a 100 hr. Inspection minus a few things. Use the maint. Check list in the Rotax Line Maint. manual. Keep it in a three ring binder. Make sure you log the 25 hr. In your logbook and actually write down what you did. Don't just say IAW. Then as you do future inspections just print and use the Rotax and Vans check list and keep them in your binder. The guys that keep really good records can usually command top dollar during a sale and people that have garbage logbooks and paperwork usually get 5K-10K less.
There is a good article on this subject on they Rotax owner forum in the blog section.

I just did a pre-buy inspection this morning on a Remos and they are going to loose out of some good money because of IAW lazy logbook paperwork. I found many things wrong and not done, but it said it was all done IAW. No detail in the logbook and no way to see what was done so it took longer and I dug deeper and found many things wrong on just the engine alone.

Starting fresh then you might as well start it right with good detailed documentation. Plus if you ever have a Rotax warranty claim hen it is much easier to get the claim handled.

Sorry I went on about this, but after what I have seen in the field over the last many years it is worth your while todo it right and better. It's important.

Roger,

Thanks very much for your info. This engine is in a new SLSA and will probably be dropped off for the oil change/inspection at the Vans Service center in Calhoun GA on the delivery flight home.
Figure 4-5 hours of Vans test flying and 20+ hours on the flight home and the engine is due for the inspection.

I spoke with Juli there today, who is an inspector A/P with Hawk Aviation at Calhoun, and she e-mailed me the page from the Rotax manual detailing this.

Howard

Just curious. Thanks.

Had the 25 hours inspection and oil change done by the local Rotax certified A&P, cost me $156 (I provided the oil). Have his entry in my Rotax log book to facilitate warranty issues.

Roger,

Thanks very much for your info. This engine is in a new SLSA and will probably be dropped off for the oil change/inspection at the Vans Service center in Calhoun GA on the delivery flight home.
Recall that for SLSA, you MUST comply with all of the manufacturer's instructions, or you run the risk of invalidating the AW cert.

TODR

Okay so I'm home from the delivery flight and the total engine time is at 35 hours (Initial flight test by Vans, and flight time returning home from Vans).

I'm going to schedule the '25 hour inspection/oil change' on the new SLSA on Monday.
Is the fact that I'm at 35 hours an issue. I couldn't get it done any earlier.

Is there a range of time within which I can get this done?

Are there any other issues that need to be taken care of at this point? I thought I read somewhere about a propellor torque check at 25 hours for example.

Thanks for any input, I appreciate it.

From what Roger Lee told me when I had mine done, anywhere close to 25hr is ok and that definitely includes 35hr so no worries.

Hi Top Cat,

I used to watch that cartoon all the time as a kid.
Something for everyone to do:
Make sure your engine is registered with Rotax. This way you are covered for warranty and if recalls, warnings or SB's are issued you will get them.
You can check here by putting your engine number in:

http://rotaxflyingclub.com/registration/engine

If this is not done you or Vans needs to make sure it gets done.

The 35 hrs. isn't an issue especially since it was travel time. Print out the engine check list in the Rotax Line Maint. manual. Have whom ever does the inspection to use it and sign off the items as they go. Then hole punch this and keep it for your on going records. This will make your life and any mechanic from now on easy if you use these on all inspections. Plus using these will help make sure the mechanic knows what to look for and that he inspects them. Print out the Vans check list too when the time comes for the 100 hrs. and or the annual. Don't ever let a mechanic make a 2-3 line logbook entry to cover an inspection. He must have done something so those things should be written down. Keeping good records will help get you top dollar when you sell by as much as $5K-$10K more. If you ever have a warranty claim or an issue that the FAA or the insurance company needs records you be far ahead of most people and your life will be easier here too. It will help protect you in case a lawsuit ever crops up. The old adage that if I don't write it down protects me is a major myth. Documentation is everything.

When you do a 100 hr or the annual condition include them both in the opening sentence. That way no matter which one comes first they both get done and rest at the same time. Life is easier this way.

Read these two blogs from the Rotax blog site:

http://www.rotax-owner.com/rotax-blog/item/22-good-documentation-its-everything

http://www.rotax-owner.com/rotax-bl...-cost-you-$10k-and-the-sale-of-your-aircraft?

Last edited:
Thanks guys, exactly what I wanted to find out. As a newbie I'll certainly get on with this stuff and make sure the records are done properly.

Thanks Roger for your insight.

BTW?glad you liked my cartoon show?I'm a retired cartoon character now:D

I don't have a 'Line Maintenance Manual' for the Rotax, just the Owners manual issued by Vans.

I've gone through it (quickly I admit) but I don't see anywhere where it addesses the 25 hour initial inspection or the 100 hour inspections for that matter.

What am I missing?:confused:

Download and keep all the 912 manuals.

http://www.rotax-owner.com/support-topmenu/engine-manuals

Operators manual
Line maint. manual (important one for the average user)
Heavy Maint. manual
Illustrated parts manual
Installation manual

You will always use the Line maint, and Parts manual.

Why parts, because it has a bunch of nut and bolt torque settings that aren't in the other manuals.

Put them on your computer or your Ipad and they can always go to the field with you or print them out and put them in binders.

Either way then a mechanic can never say he never had access or saw the manual.

Thanks guys, and especially Roger, for all the tips and pointers on the first 25 hour inspection for the Rotax.

I just had it completed today with a new friend and Rotax guru….I provided the Line Op manual checklist of items for the 100hour inspection, to be completed for the first 25 hours, as suggested by Roger. He already had it!
I'll file the completed form in a binder to accompany the log-books.
He led me through everything that needed to be done and encouraged me to get involved so that I could see what an oil change involved as well as what he was looking for in the inspection.

Took about 3.5 hours, cost $197, which included filter, oil and my first 5 gals of filtered 91 non-ethanol auto gas!!

A great learning experience and well worth the time. I feel much more confident and encouraged that this resource isn't far away! Awesome!:)

Back