What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Taking it on the chin.

Positive attitude

Set positive thoughts in your mind and the body will follow.
You will beat this thing.
All the best.

I never read your post back in mid November because I just didn't spend as much time on the internet then. When My wife Jeanine died in January you came to our support never mentioning your own problems with cancer. I am bitter, heart broken and helpless because she is gone. I know we never gave up hope and as things developed to keep us from doing what we would normally do, we enjoyed doing what we could do. People that have not experienced such things don't fully understand the importance of a teammate like your Chrissie and the lengths you have to go together to stay alive and give the treatment a chance while you live in a personal environment modified as necessary to function. God bless you my friend - one day at a time.

Bob Axsom

Hi Bob,

I was so sorry when I heard about your beloved wife. I did not want to burden you with extra sadness as I felt it was not the time or place. I wanted to give you words of support through this magnificent forum. I have seen that you have not buried yourself and I really admire that Bob.

I could not reply earlier to yours Bob or all the other encouraging words as I was in hospital for eight days. I just came out yesterday. I missed the Front Page too (Thanks Doug). I missed surfing and I missed my daily fix of VAF. It is soooo good to be home. I will email you Bob on the benefits of having the Porto Cat inserted.

Hey Anthony, it's great that you're out of the hospital. I hope your stay was fruitful. For me, they're the worst part of being sick. Back at home, among my family, I recover better. You will too.

We missed you here. Welcome home.

Best Wishes!

--
Stephen

Just Checking in Anthony 2-29-12

I'm going to pick up my old leather jacket from a tailor that refurbished it. She repaired the holes worn in the leather, installed two custom made patches and put in a new red lining (Jeanine and my favorite color) The right chest patch is an oval shaped Sport Air Racing League insignia and the right one is a rectangular shape the says "Bob & Jeanine Axsom Race #71".

After I pick that up I am going to the hangar to work on the walls. They are drywall and they were done poorly I think but who knows. I stripped off all the old joint tape and loose paint, then retaped the seams and applied new joint compound. I started sanding last night. There is a lot of sanding to do on two 16'x17'9" walls. I exposed some threads of the new joint tape in two or three places so far so those spots have to be done over. I have some drywall sealer called Guardz on order to seal the walls and bind everything together after I finish sanding and washing down the walls. After that I am going to hang a photo approximately 13'x16'.

If you can just give us a few words on how things are going. If you can't that's OK.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Hey everyone, according to his son, Anthony went back into the hospital last Saturday. I'll let him update us himself with his status when he can, but I'm sure he will enjoy our well-wishes once he's back online.

Hey Tony, you're not fooling anyone. Nobody enjoys inventory but it's still better than torture by Teutonic nurses, so get home, get back in the shop, and get to work! Sure, the shop is cold right now, but those rivets aren't going to pound themselves! :)

Best wishes, Bud. We miss you.

--
Stephen

Anthony

Hey everyone, according to his son, Anthony went back into the hospital last Saturday. I'll let him update us himself with his status when he can, but I'm sure he will enjoy our well-wishes once he's back online.

Hey Tony, you're not fooling anyone. Nobody enjoys inventory but it's still better than torture by Teutonic nurses, so get home, get back in the shop, and get to work! Sure, the shop is cold right now, but those rivets aren't going to pound themselves! :)

Best wishes, Bud. We miss you.

--
Stephen

Got essentially the same info from a different Facebook friend.

Hang tough Tony, we're praying for you my friend. Maybe later, when I can scrape together enough Euros, I can come over and help pound some of those rivets.

Anthony Johnston aka "Islandmonkey"

Just found out that Tony passed away a couple of hours ago. May you rest in peace my friend.

Please pray for his companion Chrissie. She's taking it pretty hard.

I understand

Just found out that Tony passed away a couple of hours ago. May you rest in peace my friend.

Please pray for his companion Chrissie. She's taking it pretty hard.

I just did. In movies when I was young when someone suffering from a disease died they used to say what a relief it must be for (name) to be free of that burden. What a crock! I feel for Chrissie because I know what joy it is to be with the one you love and enjoy their presence in sharing the simplest of things together even as the limitations increase. When they are gone the life we have shared is gone and the joy is gone. Chrissie will need some very strong inner strength to get through this.

Bob Axsom

Back