What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Registering and Requesting Custom N-Number

Zazoos

Well Known Member
Its about time for me to register the project and I was thinking about requesting a custom n-number during the registration process. I have the EAA Step by Step Guide, but I'm curious if y'all think requesting a custom n-number at the same time as submitting the registration will cause an extra delay in the process.

Thank you,

Its about time for me to register the project and I was thinking about requesting a custom n-number during the registration process. I have the EAA Step by Step Guide, but I'm curious if y'all think requesting a custom n-number at the same time as submitting the registration will cause an extra delay in the process.
Thank you,

Requesting a special N number should not cause any delay. Keep in mind that even though the EAA package is nice, they haven't kept up with the latest changes. The last package I saw was still using the old 8130-6.

Last edited:
It takes a couple of months to get a number reserved so I would get the number first. It only costs $10.

It takes a couple of months to get a number reserved so I would get the number first. It only costs $10.

Yup. They are backlogged. Paid the $ back in Nov. Called after Christams asking and was advised so. I just received my approved reservation letter (in the mail) yesterday and it was dated 1.8.2019.

N number

According to the registry, they are working on request received Nov. 19, so start the process now. Just use the FAA website, I just did it, took two months to get approval, but now the FSDO's are shut down, so I can't put it on the airplane yet. Always start early with FAA paperwork.

Apparently someone is collecting the mail and depositing checks at the FAA Registration Branch. Mailed the 10th, cashed the 15th.

Regarding custom N#s, I'd advise folks to reserve it ASAP. It only costs $10/yr to reserve it and it's very disheartening to see someone else get it before you. I missed my first 7 choices.
Ended up with N12345, but at least now I have a visual reminder of my banking password:rolleyes:

George

According to the registry, they are working on request received Nov. 19, so start the process now. Just use the FAA website, I just did it, took two months to get approval, but now the FSDO's are shut down, so I can't put it on the airplane yet. Always start early with FAA paperwork.

The Registration Branch kept working during the shutdown. Once you have the approval letter you can put it on and mail them the authorization letter signed and keep a copy in your plane. There's no time limit for getting the new AW Certificate from the FSDO ( and thank God for that because our area FSDO has at least one useless inspector working there that I hope you never need help from).

If you are not happy with the FSDO......

You can always use a DAR. Of course there will be a fee involved, but it will be done expeditiously.

You can always use a DAR. Of course there will be a fee involved, but it will be done expeditiously.

That brings up the question, do you give a permanent AW Cert or is it a temporary and we'd get a permanent one in the mail later? Not that it would matter because at least we wouldn't have to go to the FSDO :) but just a doubt that I just had.

That brings up the question, do you give a permanent AW Cert or is it a temporary and we'd get a permanent one in the mail later? Not that it would matter because at least we wouldn't have to go to the FSDO :) but just a doubt that I just had.

The DAR issues a new "permanent" Airworthiness Certificate and Operating Limitations. Nothing else from the FAA.

I just did one last week.

Yeah but...

Be careful, just because you paid and ?reserved? a number online, doesn?t mean that you have it for certain. Only the letter from the FAA confirming it?s yours is the guarantee. This is detailed on the FAA website. I reserved another n number the first week in March and just received the letter on 4-5.

Also, do not forget to renew your number. I did not receive any indication about renewal from the FAA and although I processed my renewal on the last day, it did not go through until the following day. Long story short, someone else reserved my number during that time...

DAR

In my case,2015-16 , I could get DAR FOR $800 , but I figured after paying
taxes for 65+ years, I decided to go FSDO route, unfortunately, lived (airport)
was in middle of 3 districts !! Ended up talking to all 3 numeous times( thank goodness started early) and finally got one who was very good , start early and
good luck ! Tomcatrv4

Back