What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MGL Odyssey Gen 2 high temp warning

traynhr

It's happened twice now this summer. After sitting in the sun on a hot day (95f), right after takeoff, I got a "high internal temp" warning. The first time, the canopy was closed while it was on the ground and I attributed the warning to that. Yesterday, the canopy was left open and right after takeoff, there was another warning. Anyone have any ideas on how to correct this. This beautiful plane was built and flown previously in Canada. Guess it's protesting our southern heat!!!

Same problem

I have had the same issue here in Australia pop up with outside temps ranging between 25 -35.

Usually my first indication was that the gps will drop out and come back in before the warning actually comes up.

I have fixed the issue for now by allowing cold air from outside to blow behind the panel (This is a temp fix) I have ordered 2 fans to mount in the top of the dash to extract hot air from behind the panel, its actually part of the install information from MGL to ensure slots in the top of your dash for hot air to escape. It does get very hot behind there!

Heat kills electronics.
The Warning you get (with the yellow background) is fairly conservative but should serve to inform you that things are not well. If you get the warning with the red background then things are getting a little out of hand.
The EFIS has fairly little self heating due to is good power efficiency so the internals typically only run a few degrees above the ambient (that is the ambient behind the panel !!!). There are vent slots designed to allow a measure of convection cooling. However, with the sun backing your cockpit dash and possibly other avionics contributing their own share of heat behind the panel the temperature can start running away.
Forced cooling by means of fans is an option, however we found that all that is really needed are a few slots somewhere on top of the dash to allow the heated air to evacuate and be replaced by cooler air from below.
Your avionics, not just the EFIS, will be thankful...

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Back