What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2nd Oil temp sensor in IO-540

Michael Wellenzohn

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Hi all,
It's already the second oil temp sensor I have to replace within 230h. It started to show too low readings compared with usual cruise speed / OAT / oil shutter door settings. I never saw a thread that this is a common issue. Did anyone experience something like this? Did you find out the reason?
I am thinking to install Adecco d independent oil temp gauge, does anyone know where to mount a second oil temp sensor and if yes what us the difference in oil temp at this location compared to the original one near the oil filter mount.

Thanks
Mike

This might help

UMA makes the sensors that Garmin use in the G3 system. Might be best to contact UMA and ask them if one of their better sensors might work for your application.

I have replaced both temp and press sensors in my Dynon system. Seems like 250hrs is their life - but these are the cheaper type (used in auto aftermarket gages).

Good luck - let us know what to find.

Best,
Mark

Oil temperature sensor ohm readings

Just for the record if anyone ever searches for oil temperature sensors here.
I received from AFS the following information regarding which Ohms do represent which temperature.

28C is around 700ohm and 100C is around 70ohm.

Cheers
Mike

Back