What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Used Tires

ethand

Well Known Member
Close to putting the plane on the gear but still 18 months or so from flying.

Looking to see if anyone has any old tires they want to get rid of that I can use for now to put the plane on its feet but replace when I get to wheel pants and first flight.

Just trying to avoid the flat spotting and degradation of sitting around for over a year before flight.

Happily pay shipping to 92119.

E

Are these the same size for the -10 as the -9?
If so, I've got two mains in the hangar you can use.

...not worth the time and effort to bother.

Just put your new tires on and fuggetabout it!

Flat spotting will go with the first rotation and they will not degrade in any way.

Plus, you will be done with the assembly, won't have to pay shipping and also have no carcasses to dispose of!

:cool: CJ

I roll my project around once in awhile to try and prevent this. Not sure if it works but makes me feel better.

I may have something in the hangar. I'll check later today. WE fly down to CRQ for breakfast so may even be able to deliver. Email me at my google mail account: marcwhis

-Marc

Non-issue.......

I'm also in the don't bother camp. My plane was on its gear for over 2 years before first flight. Now 2 years after first flight (190hrs+ hobbs time) I'm still on the same set of stock tubes and tires.

Last edited:
Used tires= used up time

Im with those that say put the tires on once and leave them on. like Auburntsts, I had my tires on for about 2 years and since it sat in my garage I had a hard time moving it much but if you move it back or forward a foot when done than move it again when working on it you will see no issues at all with flat spots. Just keep the tires at 45-50psi.
Personally, as for degradation, I think its better to get them stretched and used than leave them on a shelf for 2 years waiting, but than again it may make no difference.

OK, thanks guys.

I will go ahead and give Dresser a call and talk with them on which tires.

See all kinds of stuff on the forum for which tires and working through that information to make a decision

E

Vans supplied original tires, sat on gear in shop for 1.5 years, now flying for 3 years and almost 300 hours.

Tires

I bought the desser Rv-10 kit...with the retreads.
I have used retreads on flight school aircraft and am convinced of their durability. I also followed the logic of fitting the wheel pants to the retreads first because they are slightly larger; if I wanted to put new tires on at Walter time I would be able to. Fitting the new tires which are smaller first, makes using retreads at a later date problematic.
I am happy with the outcome...

OK, thanks guys.

I will go ahead and give Dresser a call and talk with them on which tires.

See all kinds of stuff on the forum for which tires and working through that information to make a decision

E

http://www.vansaircrafttires.com/
specifically- http://www.vansaircrafttires.com/rv...reads-and-one-aero-classic-5-00-5-butyl-tube/

Be sure when you call for the set that you tell them you want Goodyear retread tires. - yes I have used them for 4 years and they outlast the vans 2X and work really well with no shakes that I had with aeroclassics (aka they appear really well balanced)
P

Back