What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Avionics Aircraft Mounted Heads-Up Display

What I have found that I can do is remove the WiFi dongle on the Hudly and then hardwire the computer stick to the Hudly via a HDMI extension cable.
This may be a better solution if you're going to mount it permanently in the cockpit anyway. I found the display connection dropped out three times on a half-hour drive because my phone found a stronger WiFi signal that it recognized along the way. WiFi may not be the best way to make this connection if the unit connecting is a phone. Getting the phone to use the Cell signal for data and the WiFi signal for the screen is no small feat either.

New Hudly

The new wireless Hudly has a computer stick plugged into its HDMI port. Does it make sense to load the GRT app directly onto this stick?

Ron B.

I flew 18's a long time ago. It had HUD which was a pleasure to fly off of. But it was focused to infinity. About 4 years ago I was in a different airlines simulator flying a 737 with a HUD (ours don't have HUD's). I used it for a few landings.

There was something that bothered me about it that made it uncomfortable to use. I finally realized that it was focused a few feet in front of the windscreen. The F-18's was focused to infinity.

The airline HUD's are used primarily for CAT III approaches. I haven't seen that many pilots use them for anything else. I am sure there is a reason Boeing chose the focus they did, but it made it uncomfortable to use for normal flying.

Is the HUDLY focused at infinity, or a short distance?

Is the HUDLY focused at infinity, or a short distance?
Short distance. Not more than 3-4 inches past the half-silvered mirror. In my car, the distance is about where the windshield is. That puts the content about 6-8" further away from me than the dashboard, so it's *less* work to refocus, but it's still very close.

The only benefit I see is that when using it for a map or something, you don't have to look away from the road to see it... You refocus on it to see content, but your peripheral vision still picks up movement around it. Not as good as not having to re-focus, but better than looking down at the dash.

bWsS2Rsh.jpg

Initial install of my Hudly wireless, except I have it hardwired to my computer stick with an HDMI cable.

Haven't completed it yet, but I plan to velcro the unit to the glare shield in its current position. The Hudly comes with a slick pedestal mount that would adapt to car dashes very well, but seems to me would be prone to vibration in an aviation environment.

Hope to fly behind it soon.

"That's Hudly.......Hudly Lamar!" :D

Last edited:
GRT app

Dumb question-does the GRT app work stand-alone, or does it require the GRT glass panel? I am Dynon-specific, but have received my Hudly. Trying to figure out how to use it in my bird.

Dumb question answered

Sometimes it helps to read all of the posts in a thread. Looks like until Dynon follows GRT?s lead I am SOL. Oh well, I can use it in the car until then DYNON - ARE YOU LISTENING?

Maybe they'll get in the game, but I dunno. When GRT was playing with GoogleGlass etc, I asked the Dynon guys if they were going to do the same and got a flat no way - dont believe in it. Of course that went out the window, and GRT started playing with and talking about HUDs. And still nothing from Dynon. I slowly came to the conclusion that Dynon that once was forward looking, have gotten big and slowed/stagnated their development. Maybe not true, but just a gut feel. So I went out and bought a full suite of GRT. Works good for me, and totally happy to be tied to a company that continues to tinker with cutting edge stuff.

Having been taught to fly, and then flew, AOA as a primary performance instrument, I will have an AOA on my plane (Bearhawk). I wish I could talk one or more of the EFIS manufacturers to do a software AOA. Everything you need to do a really nice AOA is already in the little black boxes. No air data required. The "real" AOA we used to use in the military was useful at an airspeed way above what EAB aircraft fly and land at. At the speeds we fly, it might actually work better, although I have zero experience flying an EAB with air data derived AOA.

AHRS has all the info you need for a really nice, functional AOA. The companies that make it just don't know it. I use it all the time at work, albeit not in a dynamic environment. Once or twice a year I use it in the sim, and the instructors can't figure out how I do it. But it is all there. I just have the experience using the info. it is not talent.

I will try to make Oshkosh this year for the first time since the early 80's. I will try to talk a couple of the companies into offering it.

GRT Synthetic AOA

... I wish I could talk one or more of the EFIS manufacturers to do a software AOA. Everything you need to do a really nice AOA is already in the little black boxes. No air data required. ...

I will try to make Oshkosh this year for the first time since the early 80's. I will try to talk a couple of the companies into offering it.
GRT does this.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=39700

As Mickey pointed out, GRT has had "derived AoA" for ages. Now they also do "sensed AoA".

When I was updating our AHARS I opted to add the AoA sensor and enjoy flying with it.

Once or twice a year I use it in the sim, and the instructors can't figure out how I do it. But it is all there. I just have the experience using the info. it is not talent.

Yup. GRT has had it for years and even touted it......but they silently discovered that it wasnt quite as accurate or as fast as it needed to be, so they added sensed AOA which bullet proofed their calculations. Afterall, most folks will rely on it in landing configurations and having it dead nuts on is obviously critical.

I am curious about how you derived it using other instruments tho. Thats a piece of learning I'd seriously like to have in my tool box.

Back