What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

One RV-10 Coming up...Soon...ish?!

LordofWar

I'm excited to announce, I have finally decided to build an RV-10. Ordered a kit and built a EAA Work Table (modified to my needs). Tail-kit should be arriving tomorrow (DFW).

I started with a RV-7 and later decide to buy a RV-6. I have flow a bit more than a couple of hundred hours in an RV-6 now and I feel a RV-10 fits my needs better. One of the main reasons for me to decide to build an RV-10 is the VAF Community. Big Thanks to Gary Sobek who helped me fly the RV-6 from San Diego to NJ. I learnt so much from him on that trip, great guy, I can't thank him enough. All I had was 60 Hours of Cessna 172 and 10hours of RV-6 (transition and tailwheel time) so it was quite a jump. Flying along with Vlad for a while, a couple of years ago has helped me immensely to change from a Mission Based Mindset(Flight school) to a Fun Based Mindset.

I assessed my situation and the biggest roadblock I have is time. I travel for work Sunday Night - Thursday (Currently to Montreal). I also have a couple more hobbies other than flying(Motorcycle Track Days, Rock Climbing, etc) so it is going to be challenging. Since I'm already flying, this project is not critical, albeit very significant. It will be an interesting journey working on it and finishing this project.

I'm looking forward to connect with other RV builders in the DFW. Email me and I would love to get in touch.

Happy New Year to all!:)

You can't think in terms of a timeline for finishing or you will become discouraged early in the build. And don't worry about your travel schedule. I don't travel like you, but I have long days at the office so I only work on my RV14 on my days off. I started in October 2016 and have completed the empennage and a bit over half the wings as of this past weekend all in about 14 months. Originally I thought I could finish the build in 2 years, but I already know that was wildly optimistic. Rather, I have come to think of my project as an interesting "something to do" and have consciously made an effort to just enjoy it and revel in each small victory; debur a part, dimple, match-drill, measure, cut, prime, etc. You eat an elephant one bite at a time, and, assuming you stick with it, eventually you will run out of bites and have an airplane. I also have a Cessna 180 and split my time off between flying and working on the build so I, like you, can have the best of both worlds; steady progress on my new go-fast airplane, while keeping my flying skills honed. At least it works for me.

I assessed my situation and the biggest roadblock I have is time.

one_bite1.jpg

Back