What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LED glare shield wiring question/help

dreed

Well Known Member
Hi all- searched and didn't find anything specific. I was going to go with white only glare shield lighting, but have since gone back to the red/white strip.

I have a dimmers for both panel and baggage (white LED only for baggage). I'd like to use the extra toggles, or one of these locations, as a switch for Red/off/White for the glare shield wiring

Would this work/be doable. If so would I just need a three way rocker and run the power(s) to the switch then the dimmer?

Sorry for my wiring ignorance!

dan

80-dimmer_30d787d615eb68c9f74a81ce1689d2de544f7b68.png

need more info on dimmers and power arrangement for the light strips. it should be doable but need more info.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

I'm always interested in these post with cool things to do to my plane but then I remember it's on a diet to keep the weight low. For someone who flies a lot at night I guess baggage and cowl lights are a useful thing to have. I hardly fly at night anymore so for those limited times I just use my phone flashlight.

Yes it?s doable

Hi, while I haven?t installed this, I?ve bench tested the exact arrangement you?re talking about. What you?ll need to do is run power through the dimmer first, then take the output from the dimmer to the centre terminals on a DPDT switch (like the 3 position rocker mentioned) so the red/white can be switched as needed. Check your earth wires though as you may need to bring them back through the switch and to the dimmer (then to ground the dimmer) for it all to work properly.

Back