What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wide tire option

Don Cramer

I'm New Here
Could anyone please advise if they know of a wide tyre option for a 6a.
I realise the loss of airspeed but we need to use an airfield which is slightly sandy and I'm not prepared to take the risk on my standard size tyres.
Thanks in advance.

I upgraded to the larger tires (380-150-5) as well. Still fit the stock wheel pants when fitted. No loss of airspeed. They're a little larger and a little wider. I land on a dirt strip regularly without issue. I'm flying an 8 however.

smokey ray is the one to talk to, he's been running them for years.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Time for a poll?

Don,
I like what Bob did with his RV7A. Not sure if this is doable for an RV6A.
http://mesawood.info/myrv7a/building/newgear.htm
Bevan

I sure wish Van's ( or Allan at AntiSplat) would offer this as an option when at the building stage....it's a bit painful to do as a mod.
I think a good chunk of us would give up 10 lbs. and a couple knots to have more confidence operating on rough runways and sod etc.

just my $.02

380-150-5 tires

I upgraded to the larger tires (380-150-5) as well. Still fit the stock wheel pants when fitted. No loss of airspeed. They're a little larger and a little wider. I land on a dirt strip regularly without issue. I'm flying an 8 however.

Plus one for me. I love them. When I mounted my wheel fairings, I anticipated wanting more ground clearance so I mounted them a half inch higher than Vans tells you. This allowed installation of the bigger tires with no problems at all.

Feels a world better on soft dirt and sand.

I sure wish Van's ( or Allan at AntiSplat) would offer this as an option when at the building stage....it's a bit painful to do as a mod.
I think a good chunk of us would give up 10 lbs. and a couple knots to have more confidence operating on rough runways and sod etc.

just my $.02

I agree that Van's could offer a "rough field kit" for those of us that like to operate off unimproved strips.

Maybe Allen could make the key parts (that I'm about to make) to adapt the larger nose wheel. The mains don't require any machining work. What is the interest level?

Bevan

Last edited:
Back