What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil door standing "proud" .. how did you fix it?

wjb

Well Known Member
Hi Folks,

I'm fitting fiberglass oil door to my 7's pink cowl, and though it is perfectly flush when closed, I've found that the relief molded into the cowl is not nearly enough to make the door flush with the rest of the cowl surface ... it's probably 30-40 mils proud.

Anyone else see this? How did you fix it? Build up the cowl near the door so it would be flush, use a thinner material (aluminum, etc), or another magic technique?

I built up the area around the door with epoxy and microballoons, and "massaged" the oil door with heat, and added a lot of fiberglass to the backside of the door to stiffen it, but...

If I had it to do over again, I'd just make the damned thing out of aluminum with a couple of stiffeners. It *still* sits just a ***** hair proud, and although no one but me notices, it bugs me.

It's a simple little door...should be easy to fab up.

Anywhere there are molded parts, you will have a filet that will interfere with the mating part. There is a radius in the mold purposefully. If the inside edge was square it will not allow the mold to release the part well.
Try squaring the inside edge, where the door sits, with a sanding block. If it still needs more, sand down the entire surface where the doors nests. It doesn't take long to sand it down to the depth you need for your door to sit flush. Keep the surface flat and square by using the sanding block.
This same issue exists with wing tips and empennage tips. Sanding block with a sharp edge will clean the mating joint up and allow a better fit.

Back