What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a pic of your FINISHED RV-7/7A!!!

Thanks,

No, it's from the Sikaflex primer we used to glue the canopy on.

We painted the primer onto the inside of the perspex and it produces a really neat, dense black stripe.

Here is another shot while we were building.

DSC00573.JPG

Hi, my name's Brian Degenhardt & I'm based in Adelaide South Australia.
I thought it was about time I got of my backside and sent a few pics of my completed RV7A. It's first flight was December 2008 and it's flown 190 hours to date. I was lucky enough to win the Concourse deElegance & the Best Metal Aircraft awards at our SAAA convention this year.

It's powered by a FADEC Mattituck OF360
Constant speed Aero Composite Prop.
Tip tanks giving & 250 litre fuel capacity
PSEngineering intercom/auto squelch, PCAS,
Blue Mountains Sport & auto pilot, vision micro
monitor, 480 Garmin, GTX 32 transponder,
DVD player & BOSE headsets. IFR equiped.

Classic Aero leather interior, Bob's fairings kit,
Menske tip up Canopy BMW Z3cowling side vents

Build time 3,300 hours
P.S. Iv'e been a lurker on this site since 2004

RV2-1.jpg

RV3.jpg

RV4.jpg

RV5.jpg

RV7.jpg

RV1.jpg

One more UK RV.....

Congratulations Mike, John Dixon's kept me informed on your progress, G-IVII looks great, I'm not too far behind you now, I'm aiming to be finished and ready for painging by Christmas (that's 2010!).

Well done

Martin O'Hearne :)
(Shiney)

Absolutely superb Brian and genuine congrats on the awards. Every bit of your 3300 hours in clearly evident....!!!

You have done the team down under proud. Look forward to meeting you some time soon.

Cheers,

Jon.

dsc9611o.jpg

i am posting this for bruce armstrong. got this shot on a sebring flight. nice looking bruce.

My completed RV-7A

I completed my RV-7A in four and a half years. The first flight was July 10, 2010 from the Stoney Creek, Ontario airport. It's powered by an O-360-A1A with dual P-Mags. It has a 3 bladed MT CS prop, dual Advanced Flight Systems displays, a Trutrak Digiflight 2 autopilot, A Garmin 496GPS, Garmin SL40 Comm. and Garmin GTX330 mode S transponder.

Mark Rataj
RV-7A flying.
IMG_2095.JPG

Finished!!!! Well, there is always one thing left to do, but I now call it upkeep. I am FINISHED.

RV7A597.jpg

SWEET!
It looks like I'll need to do more sanding and filling before I paint If I'm to be allowed on the same ramps as some of these great looking machines I'm seeing here.

Larry Westbrook's RV7A N57LW

My good friend Larry (CZ57shooter) asked me to post pictures of his new bird. I am proud to do so. Larry flew down every day for two weeks to help me with my canopy and wheel pants. I owe him dearly.

DSC_0167.JPG

DSC_0169.JPG

Panel by Stark Avionics
DSC_0170.JPG

Classic Aero interior
DSC_0172.JPG

Last edited:
Painted; Major Change

N33WE is nearly finished, except for...........
IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg

C A Mansfield
IO360, Whirlwind Prop, James Cowl & Plenum

Legal N number ?

Nice looking plane but is that N number legal?

The large numbers don't really meet the "no ornamentation" or "legibility" (FAR Part 45.21 (c) (2), (4). ( I sure couldn't figure out the N- number looking at the large numbers)

The numbers on the VS don't comply with Part 45.25 (b) (1) "If displayed on the vertical tail surfaces, horizontally on both surfaces.

Part 45.29 also goes into some detail about the height, width, spacing, etc.

N number

The way I interpreted 45.24(b)(1) is that if the airplane is experimental, they can be vertical. That is why the standard 3" numbers are on the tail, the side numbers are a "design element."
There was a good article in Sport Aviation March issue about this very topic. Page 96 also says vertical 3" numbers is OK.

C A

RV7 G-IIXF

I have only just learned how to post on here and I felt that it was only right that I posted some pictures of my trusty steed G-IIXF. We flew 10500nm in 3 and a half days together through some of the most awful weather in the day and in the night. My wife Anna and I spent many years building a strong and faithful aeroplane and neither of them let me down, not even for a moment.

ejfyxg.jpg

ekj2vt.jpg

24orkhx.jpg

In record ready fit XF was fitted with a:
200hp Lycoming,
Hartzell BA Prop,
Garmin G900X EFIS
Trutrak Digiflight II VSVG
Indigosat Satellite Tracking System
Satphone
Relief tube! to take care of the 14 hour endurance
Jon Johanson Tip Tanks
2 Extra fuselage Tanks

She is now back to an ordinary 2 seater at ordinary weights! so Anna and I can enjoy her as Van designed her. Time for some 2 seat touring

2ev6hlg.jpg

Last edited:
First flight

hi all
RV7a VH-PRA officially became an aeroplane last week. completing it first flight on wednesday at 915 with Jon johansen at the controls it flew straight and balanced with no problems. The TMXIO-360 engine ran beautifully:) The only problems i have to sort out is my trutrak ADI is not displaying ground track though it is hooked up to my avmap GPS anyone have this trouble before? .
My%252520RV7A%252520Construction%252520026.jpg

DSCF0430.JPG

DSCF0425.JPG

DSCF0432.JPG

yes

yeah i have flown it. it has 9.1 hours up and couldn't be happier with how it flies.;)

Last edited:
My Freshly painted RV

IMG_0212.JPG
IMG_0218.JPG
IMG_0215.JPG
[/IMG]

Hays Aviation in Akron Colorado did the painting, and did an awesome job!! The paint scheme came from Scheme Designers, it was one they already had, but I had them make a lot of changes to it like adding the curves.

Last edited:
Congrats

hi all
RV7a VH-PRA officially became an aeroplane last week. completing it first flight on wednesday at 915 with Jon johansen at the controls it flew straight and balanced with no problems. The TMXIO-360 engine ran beautifully:) The only problems i have to sort out is my trutrak ADI is not displaying ground track though it is hooked up to my avmap GPS anyone have this trouble before? .

Hi Paul

Late congrats - missed your post. You had a pretty handy stick at the controls for your maiden flight!!!!

Hope all is going well? Which one of us will cross Bass Strait first?!

Cheers

Jon

Hope to cross paths soon.

Chz Jon

N36HS is officially finished

My RV7A is officially completed since last Friday. After one month at Grady’s workshop (GLO Custom), the plane is now painted. Congratulation to Grady, he did a fantastic job, lot of good advice, top quality job, excellent service. He deserves a 10/10 on every aspect. Highly recommended, it is worth the trip from South Carolina where I live for a few years before returning to France.

DSC_0332%252520reduite.jpg

The first flight was made in last December, several small issues to fix during the phase one, such as slight heavy wing, leak on a tank, the plane is flying perfectly now. She has 55 hours on the log.

Engine is O320 D2A with FP sensenich metal prop.

Panel is equipped for VFR flight with AFS3500 with AOA, Map and SV, SL30, GTX330, GMA240, GPS 495, Digitrak and Altrak. The Altrak is just being installed recently, the trip to and from Dallas from SC made me realize that with such fast airplane, even correctly trimmed, you just have a 10 sec look at your map, and you have lost (or gained) 200ft. Backup steam gauge with altimeter, speed indicator and compass.

Leather interior from Classic Aero, Aviator panels and sportsman seats. Very nice and comfortable for long trips.

I am very happy with every choice I have made along the building process, the plane is perfectly fitted to my need and mission, it was a fantastic adventure, lot of very nice people met along the five years of construction, both in France (where I started the project) and here in the US. All this has been a very exciting, and now rewarding project.

From performance view point, I have 135 / 140 knot at 3000 ft at 65% and 9 gph. At 8000 ft, I reach 155 / 160 knot with 65% and 8 gph, not being too aggressive on mixture. I lean until I get 400F on the hottest cylinder (carb).

Nothing can beat the RV’s from cost vs pleasure view point IMHO. I am sure most of you agree on this statement:)

Additional photos available here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/110701092257085415643/N36HSPainted#

Last edited by a moderator:
VH-VGB Pics

I had the opportunity to get to air shots of my newly completed RV-7A with Ray Jarvis Flying his RV8 and camera man Darren Chaffer last week.

Shots were taken over the Australia Victorian country side and excited how they showcase the RV-7A with it's Paint scheme by "Paint Scheme Designs" USA.

It fly's straight, fast and true and is an absolute pleasure to be in after nearly 8 years of building.

Engine is a TMX IOF-360 M1B with WW200RV propeller. Full classic aero interior and AFS/Garmin panel.

Hope these links work to photobucket

Greg:)

bigglesrv7a

bigglesrv7a

bigglesrv7a

bigglesrv7a

bigglesrv7a

Last edited:
Here's two of the best

Well done! Beautiful airplane.

DSC_3289.jpg

DSC_3253.jpg