What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Passing PAPR for my uAvionix installation!

Dean Pichon

Well Known Member
During my just completed annual, I installed an EchoUAT and SkyFYX in my RV-4. Today, I received a clean PAPR after a test flight around Boston airspace.

I installed both uAvionix boxes on the pilot side of the firewall. In addition, I installed a splitter for the GPS line. The splitter takes the signal from the existing antenna (mounted on the rear fuselage skin, under the canopy) and provides signal to both the panel mounted GPS (SL60) and the SkyFYX unit. Those boxes, along with a RAMI transponder antenna on the belly, completed the new hardware installation. (Please excuse the photos below, as the wires had not been dressed and the hardware was temporary at photo time.)

IMG-0224.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

IMG-0222.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

The uAvionix app worked well on my iPad. I ran into some issues with configuring settings in the SL70 transponder, but the guys at uAvionix patiently walked me thru the appropriate steps and the app immediately reported a clean install. I'm thrilled to now be compliant and having done so with only minor mods to the aircraft.

Now, I just need to figure out why my AoA audio annunciator stopped working...

Clean install there. I've got the same setup, and just got a clean PAPR from the FAA. My only problem is that I don't show up on Flightradar24, even though I'm in an area with excellent ADS-B coverage. Frustrating! I've got friends/family that would like to follow me on that app.

My only problem is that I don't show up on Flightradar24, even though I'm in an area with excellent ADS-B coverage. Frustrating! I've got friends/family that would like to follow me on that app.

The UAT frequency 978 MHz is not picked up unless you are in the system. Mode-S extended squitter: 1090 MHz is picked up by Flightradar24

Not sure how soon or if they even will add the UAT frequency. May be an email campaign to Flightradar24 From enough UAT users may help.

Last edited:
Flightaware tracks me

I have the same setup --- I use Flightaware for tracking --- and my buddies are able to see me when they look up the N number or they get notification if I am on their Flightaware free subscription (up to 5 airplanes for notification)

Ron

Garmin/uAvionix fracas

I had heard the Garmin/ uAvionix lawsuit was this February, 2019. Then I heard February 2020?? Anyone know when it really is?:confused:

Back