VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-12-2018, 02:47 PM

For those of you following this thread, I found a service that will run in my new engine on a dyno for four hours for $776. That accomplishes most of the cylinder break in and helps avoid any glazing with ground runs. I can drive up there one day and return the next. I plan to go this way to avoid problems.

G&N Aircraft in Griffith IN.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:43 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Rohrer View Post
For those of you following this thread, I found a service that will run in my new engine on a dyno for four hours for $776. That accomplishes most of the cylinder break in and helps avoid any glazing with ground runs. I can drive up there one day and return the next. I plan to go this way to avoid problems.

G&N Aircraft in Griffith IN.
Thatís a serious bargain, and a great way to go!
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 02-13-2018, 09:16 AM

Consider the cost of aircraft insurance, if you will. How much insurance will $776 buy? Compare that to how much insurance value you will get from knowing you have a solid-running engine on your new airframe. I agree with Paul completely. Had I had the option I would certainly have paid extra to have the engine put through its paces and partially broken-in before mounting on the airplane.

As things turned out for us it was a non-issue. Ten short ground runs (following Mahlon's advice concerning max run time, temperatures etc) allowed me to fine-tune all engine operating parameters (setting up the constant speed prop took six engine runs). The first flight was completely uneventful and during that flight and into the second flight we were able to watch the temperatures even out across the four cylinders. After the first 5 hours I added 1/2 quart of oil. Changed the oil and filter at 10 hours, adding 7 quarts which resulted in just about 1/4" over 6 quarts showing on the dipstick. Now at 27 hours (17 hours since the oil change) I'm seeing the oil level is down about 1/8". I'm extremely pleased with the way this engine has broken in. Mahlon's advice works.