What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thermocouple Wire - Stranded or Solid

ethand

Well Known Member
G3X system install and associated temp probes. Type K wire required.

Stein sells the stranded wire and ACS sells what looks to be more of a solid wire.

Will the solid work firewall forward or should it only be stranded? What are others using/used?

Thanks

G3X system install and associated temp probes. Type K wire required.

Stein sells the stranded wire and ACS sells what looks to be more of a solid wire.

Will the solid work firewall forward or should it only be stranded? What are others using/used?

Thanks

Hello ethand,

Please refer to sections 24.3.1 (CHT) and 24.3.2 (EGT) of the Rev. AF G3X Installation Manual.

Stranded thermocouple extension wire is recommended, and an example part number and manufacturer for 22 AWG stranded type K thermocouple extension wire is provided.

Thanks,
Steve

As I recall solid wire should never be used in a aircraft. In fact it should never be used in cases where vibration or movement is possible.That is if you want it to remain intact and not break.

Umm... not to be too argumentative here, but solid thermocouple wire is more the norm than stranded is in many aircraft, particularly certificated aircraft. Ask me how I know... I got really good at silver soldering the alumel/chromel wires in MD500 helicopters many years ago. And it never broke in service.

Fast forward to today and you'll find most of our probes, mounted right there on the exhaust pipe, being heated and shaken by our dinosaur Lycomings are also using solid thermocouple wires. Same for the CHT probes. Solid wire is generally not acceptable for use in aircraft applications but thermocouples seem to be (and to have been for many decades) the exception to that rule.

Regardless of who says what was used when on various aerospace vehicles over the decades, current mfgr's of engine monitoring systems for our sport aircraft almost all universally recommend stranded thermocouple wire (which is all we and most places stock anymore as a result)....so, I'd likely use what the mgr of your unit recommends today.

Just my 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein

Back