What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Two-Piece to One-Piece Camshaft Conversion

Doug Rohrer

Well Known Member
I am accumulating parts to assemble an O-320 D2B engine for my RV-9A. I have almost everything I need with one issue. I bought a new one-piece cam kit but then learned the accessory case I have is set up for the older two-piece camshaft. I either have to find another good accessory case or have my case modified for the newer cam. New two-piece cams are not available.

Can anyone recommend a place to have this mod done? I understand Chuck Ney used to do it, but he has passed on. All help appreciated.

Cam

I found a two piece cam at AEA dallas, make sure you put in the tach shaft, if you leave that out they will vent a little more oil. I have EFII ignitions so I didn?t think the tach shaft was necessary. anti splat oil separator works!

Keith Rhea RV7
O320 D2A
Dues paid 2018
Just finished my 14 hour drive return from Kosh.

A local -6A owner just had to rebuild his engine (purchased plane) and found he had the wrong combination of parts back there.

If you have the accessory case off and the camshaft in hand, this forum post gives good pictures of both versions.

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?33261-Two-Piece-to-One-Piece-Cam-Shaft

When I had my 360-A1A built up from a collection of yellow-tagged parts the Lycoming parts catalogs were not exactly the easiest things to follow to see the differences. :)

If you want the legal stuff, then this SI has it, I think -

S.I. 1218A Drive Gear, Integral, Parts Substitution Chart for Camshaft with

I can't find an on-line copy though.

Last edited:
Camshaft Mod

Thanks Jesse. I will contact Crankcase Services on Monday.

I learned about this problem while attending the Lycoming engine tear-down/assembly class at OSH last week. I was not the only one in the audience to discover I do not have the right case. It would be nice if the camshaft sellers would warn customers of this issue, since new two-piece cams are mostly gone. The instructors also pointed out the importance of leaving the tach drive pin in place or sealing it off to avoid oil loss. I am really glad I went to this class.

I had to do this on my 540 as well. Divco modified my accy case for $150. It's unfortunate that Lycoming initially sold a new "rivet on" shroud to convert the accy case to accomodate the new cam. They then raised the price for the little piece to $1000, then stopped making them. Apparently there wasn't enough demand for Superior to bother with it.

It's really sad what happens when there is not enough competition.

Larry

Back