What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitch Servo Hardware Fail

TJCF16

Well Known Member
I have had my airplane down for it's condition inspection for the last month. I powered it up the other day for the first time. I got a Pitch servo hardware fail. I cycled power and it went out. Now everytime I turn power on for the first time I have the same error message and have to clear it by cycling avionics power.
I called Garmin and my servos serial number fall in the ones they have had problems with. They are sending me new ones. But here is my beef with Garmin.

1. I had to purchase the servo's ($1800.00) and will be refunded when they receive the old ones! (like I am going to steel their cheap faulty servos!

2. I have to pay to ship them back to the company. (they did give me an RMA #) so why do I have to be out the shipping costs for their issue!

I feel they should at least pay to ship them back! My god I spent over $30,000 dollars on all Garmin equipment on my plane. Seem's like a very cheep approach to a good customer.

Gotta agree with ya on both points. They know there?s very little out there that equals all they have to offer so they can afford to drop some of the niceties and services. On the other hand I had an issue with my Bose and they literally did everything they could and more. It is what it is and you aren?t the first to experience such.

But here is my beef with Garmin.

1. I had to purchase the servo's ($1800.00) and will be refunded when they receive the old ones! (like I am going to steel their cheap faulty servos!

2. I have to pay to ship them back to the company. (they did give me an RMA #) so why do I have to be out the shipping costs for their issue!

I feel they should at least pay to ship them back! Seem's like a very cheep approach to a good customer.

Your #1. This is standard across all businesses, near as I can tell.
Your #2. Paying one way shipping for warranty repairs is what I expect. If they're out of warranty, I'd expect to pay two way shipping.

I've had frustrations as well, but my experience and expectations on returns and repairs differ from yours.

I have had 2 faulty Dynon components (pitch servo & transceiver), they shipped replacement units next day, no charge, and gave me 30 days to return faulty units. Plus 3 year warranty. Very pleased with their customer service.

Your dealer should have been able to coordinate with Garmin to avoid the charge for the new servo's, at least they did for me.

Got the replacement servo's (yes, has happened more than once) within two day's each time at Garmins cost. I did pay for return shipping but they didn't have to go back second day delivery.

I didn't mind the charges. Pretty minor in the scheme of things. Floating $1,800 on the other hand would have p****d me off too.

Servo fail

I had a pitch servo fail and MGL sent me a new one within a couple days and no core charge. No time limit on the return. Their digital servos are just under $1000.

I had a great servo exchange experience with Garmin Experimental dept. They offer a no-cost exchange if you send yours back first. It's only if you don't want to wait when they offer advanced replacement with the prior payment option. I opted for the up-front deposit to save time and the representative I talked with even offered to expedite the new one out due to the troubles I was having.

Quick change out and I mailed back the defective unit (at my cost). No problem with that whatsoever. I can't imagine who would complain about return shipment. We should count ourselves lucky having the level of support we get from Garmin. Remeber Blue Mountain?

Jim

Back