What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

spar taper pins

grover

Well Known Member
am resurrecting an older plane that was built with the taper pins for spar assembly. any idea on a part number for these? van's only indicates that the drawings specify NAS bolts since the mid-1980s.

Been a few years but when I did mine they were just the taper bolts called out no part number used back then. I still have the reamer use for them it was quite a challenge as when the hole is getting close things happen quick. Good luck with your 3, just check those spar mods close. Things were very basic back then when building, no pre drilled holes ribs were something to behold and get straight as I remember.

Renovating an old "3"

am resurrecting an older plane that was built with the taper pins for spar assembly. any idea on a part number for these? van's only indicates that the drawings specify NAS bolts since the mid-1980s.

I spent 15 months renovating a 3A and the plans called for metal straps that the pins clamp onto, to be heat treated so I grabbed one of the four and took it to a local engineering business to have it "Rockwell" tested. If I remember right it came back with a result (70,000 psi?) that definitely showed it had been heat treated, so I made the assumption that the original builder had also done that to the other three pieces. I enjoyed the process of getting it flying again after it sat for 12 yrs., but the real kick was actually flying it!

Doug Lomheim
RV-3A sold
RV-9A Mazda 13B/FWF

I spent 15 months renovating a 3A and the plans called for metal straps that the pins clamp onto, to be heat treated so I grabbed one of the four and took it to a local engineering business to have it "Rockwell" tested. If I remember right it came back with a result (70,000 psi?) that definitely showed it had been heat treated, so I made the assumption that the original builder had also done that to the other three pieces. I enjoyed the process of getting it flying again after it sat for 12 yrs., but the real kick was actually flying it!

Doug Lomheim
RV-3A sold
RV-9A Mazda 13B/FWF

I cannot think of where mine came from, too many years back, but they were heat treated and noted as so. Think they were aftermarket back then there were several selling different parts for the 3 such as stick assemblies rudder pedals and other items.

Back