What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

seat belts for RV-10

stamper

Well Known Member
I am about ready to order seat belts for my rv10. Can you give me feed back on which ones you guys prefer and why. And also those who have maybe switched to different seat belts and why.
Thanks.

I have the Crow 5 point camlock set up with pads. Very easy on/off, easy to adjust and they are comfortable.

The RV-10 is the second plane that I used Hooker Harness Sport belts. They will go in the next one as well. The quality is top notch.

Carl

Crows

I have the Crow 5 point camlock set up with pads. Very easy on/off, easy to adjust and they are comfortable.

I concur on the Crow harnesses. When I purchased there was also a significant price difference but quality from my opinion was nil.

My 2c worth.

Andrew

I have the Crows with the rotary buckle, and generally like them, but they do seem heavy.

I've had both Hooker and Crows in the tens. Both high quality. The Crows are a tad less bulky and maybe more comfortable because of it. Rotary buckle for sure.

I guess I'm the outlier in the bunch -- I used the ones supplied by Vans. No issues whatsoever. I have a gray Flightline's interior and the gray stock belts match perfectly.

Bruce, I would recommend retractables for the front. Also, my personnal preference is without the shoulder pads. For a plane approved for acrobatics, stiff and padded 5 points are the thing. For the 10's 4 point retractable will provide some extra comfort. Take a look at the Corbeau 2-Inch Retractable Harness Belt. Race quality and reasonably priced

meeting mission requirements

Sounds like Vans belts can do the job from Todd. For a non aerobatic plane, at least for me, it is easy on/off, comfort, and will they keep all in their seats if an accident occurs. If you optioned out of Vans stock belts because they did not meet mission requirements please let me (us) know.

Cheers, Mike

Sounds like Vans belts can do the job from Todd. For a non aerobatic plane, at least for me, it is easy on/off, comfort, and will they keep all in their seats if an accident occurs. If you optioned out of Vans stock belts because they did not meet mission requirements please let me (us) know.

Cheers, Mike

I did the same. By the time I got to that point in the build, I was out of money and the aircraft was a little heavier than planned. Not installing the retractable saved probably a pound or so and the Van's were less expensive.

With that said, I don't want to detract from the other options. I would have preferred them too, but then we all have decisions to make.

bob

I believe with the retractable you might want to offer the rear passengers a helmet before they get in. I have heard of people hitting there head on these pretty hard.
I have the stock Vans 700HRS with no complaints. With the hangar installed on the cabin top they are fine and easy to get to.

FWIW

Geoff

image.jpeg

I used the Vans belts. I live in T shirts and the edge of the shoulder belts irritated my neck. My wife made some pads that solved the issue.

You can see my Star Wars belt hanger. Keeps the belts out of the way and the back seaters don't even know they are there.

Last edited:
Vans belts

I have the stock Vans seat belts and I wish I would have bought an aftermarket set. I have to consistently pull my lapbelt tight and warn the passengers to do the same. In turbulence the stock seat belts loosen up. I noticed in other RV's with aftermarket belts didn't have this problem.

I have the stock Vans seat belts and I wish I would have bought an aftermarket set. I have to consistently pull my lapbelt tight and warn the passengers to do the same. In turbulence the stock seat belts loosen up. I noticed in other RV's with aftermarket belts didn't have this problem.

My stock belts do not exhibit this problem -- they stay where you adjust them.

Picture of the Retractable Units

These seatbelts came out of a Cirrus that the owner changed color. They are AmSafe belts and fit my -10 perfect. The rears were a little challenging to install. Initially I had the inertia reels forward of the rear baggage panel. Decided to fabricate brackets to mount them aft of the baggage panel after I saw how much baggage room they took up.

The fronts were bolt on and the reels bolted directly to the cabin top, so they are up out of the way.

Eulice Curington
RV-10, N104EW

Eulice, thanks you for the pictures! I am far away from decision making, but it might be helpful one day.

Igor

Cool Star Wars add in....

That is a really cool and practical add-in you put in your bird Bruce. That is has been one of my considerations/concerns is how to get folks in the back without getting tied up in the pilot/copilot harness. Since one of the primary goals for my RV-10 is to get back to doing Angel Flight work, getting folks to the back seat, often non-aviation and sometimes limited mobility in an "easy and safe manner" is important to my airplanes mission. And like most, putting $$$ where it counts most effectively for the planes mission is critical and each RV-10 & builder has it's own. Lots of great options have been presented, nice to see them all.

Sorry for thread hijack

Mike,

I admire your generosity in planning to use your RV-10 for Angel Flights. I did AFs for many years before selling my Cessna 210 to start my RV-10 project. They were very satisfying and I would like to do more.

In the past, Angel Flight organizations have allowed only standard category aircraft for missions as stated below. Do you know if that policy has changed?

Thanks,

Bruce

How to become a Command Pilot
Pilot requirements:
? Valid and current private (or higher) certificate, with class/type ratings and endorsements required for aircraft.
? Instrument rating.
? Valid & current class III or higher medical certificate.
? 250 hours pilot in command (PIC) experience.
? 25 hours make and model in singles, 75 hours make and model in turbines and twins.
? 50 hours as PIC in last 12 months (waived with a flight review or completion of a Wings phase in last 3
months).
? Liability insurance policy.
Annual Affirmation:
? I will provide transportation at no cost to those we serve. I do so as a volunteer, not as an agent, servant or employee of Angel Flight, Inc.
? I will send a copy of my pilot certificate on initial application.
? I will send a copy of my medical certificate and liability insurance declarations on initial application and on
each annual renewal.
? I will use only standard category aircraft for passenger flights.
? I will be in compliance with insurance and renting/club requirements for carrying passengers in aircraft flown.
? I will be instrument current and I will file IFR on all passenger legs.
? To facilitate coordination & tracking, I will also file IFR on repositioning flights to collect a passenger.
Non-pilots and pilots who don? t meet our pilot requirements or affirmations are welcome to join and are encouraged to participate in volunteer activities.

Mike,

I admire your generosity in planning to use your RV-10 for Angel Flights. I did AFs for many years before selling my Cessna 210 to start my RV-10 project. They were very satisfying and I would like to do more.

In the past, Angel Flight organizations have allowed only standard category aircraft for missions as stated below. Do you know if that policy has changed?

Thanks,

Bruce

How to become a Command Pilot
Pilot requirements:
? Valid and current private (or higher) certificate, with class/type ratings and endorsements required for aircraft.
? Instrument rating.
? Valid & current class III or higher medical certificate.
? 250 hours pilot in command (PIC) experience.
? 25 hours make and model in singles, 75 hours make and model in turbines and twins.
? 50 hours as PIC in last 12 months (waived with a flight review or completion of a Wings phase in last 3
months).
? Liability insurance policy.
Annual Affirmation:
? I will provide transportation at no cost to those we serve. I do so as a volunteer, not as an agent, servant or employee of Angel Flight, Inc.
? I will send a copy of my pilot certificate on initial application.
? I will send a copy of my medical certificate and liability insurance declarations on initial application and on
each annual renewal.
? I will use only standard category aircraft for passenger flights.
? I will be in compliance with insurance and renting/club requirements for carrying passengers in aircraft flown.
? I will be instrument current and I will file IFR on all passenger legs.
? To facilitate coordination & tracking, I will also file IFR on repositioning flights to collect a passenger.
Non-pilots and pilots who don? t meet our pilot requirements or affirmations are welcome to join and are encouraged to participate in volunteer activities.

If I am not mistaken, it depends on which sub-organization you are flying within. For instance, the Angel Flight Northeast specifically calls out no experimentals, where the Southeast organization doesn't appear to have this language.

angel flight & experimentals

Wow, did not realize they shut experimentals out of passenger service. I am going to ping Angel Flight West and see where experimental use sits, just flying organs and non-people is much less rewarding. Thanks for the heads up on that, did not see this one coming. I guess living and building in the Vans experimental world with such modest insurance rates and an excellent safety record on the whole, that risk was and is seen as right on par with FAA certified aircraft.

Re seatbelts

Does anyone have an opinion about securing rear seatbelts per Van's vs. a hard point on the cabin top?

front seat belts on -10

Everybody have pictures of the roof top attachment for -10 ?
I have the Crow to install
thanks

That is a really cool and practical add-in you put in your bird Bruce. That is has been one of my considerations/concerns is how to get folks in the back without getting tied up in the pilot/copilot harness.
all.

A number of builders have installed a ?shoulder belt hangar? between the front seats, up high, for just this purpose.

Does anyone have an opinion about securing rear seatbelts per Van's vs. a hard point on the cabin top?

Cabin top hardpoint for the rear seatbelts would be at a bad angle - so probably not a good idea.

For the front seat shoulder belts I added serveral bids of glass (carbon) on the inside of the cabin top as the top thickness seemed inadequate to me - especially after counter sinking for the attachement bolt. For the attachement bolt I flatten two sides to keep it from not rotating and I set it in flox, the head just below the top of the cabin. I later fill in with micro over the head, sanded, then a coulple bids of fiberglass. More micro and more sanding - done.

I use Hooker Harness for my belts - but the brand makes no difference.

Carl

front seat belts on -10

Hi, Can anyone post a pic of the cabin top attachment ?
I?m just to do it with Crow belts.

thanks
Rv-10 in Buenos Aires

Cabin top hardpoint for the rear seatbelts would be at a bad angle - so probably not a good idea.

For the front seat shoulder belts I added serveral bids of glass (carbon) on the inside of the cabin top as the top thickness seemed inadequate to me - especially after counter sinking for the attachement bolt. For the attachement bolt I flatten two sides to keep it from not rotating and I set it in flox, the head just below the top of the cabin. I later fill in with micro over the head, sanded, then a coulple bids of fiberglass. More micro and more sanding - done.

I use Hooker Harness for my belts - but the brand makes no difference.

Carl

Back