What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

iPad or iPad mini...

ccsmith51

Well Known Member
I just purchased an RV-6. It has no GPS. I plan on using an iPad with Foreflight or WingX.

I have an iPad 2 and an iPad Mini. Neither has GPS. I can either purchase a Dual for $100 and link it to an iPad, or I can purchase a used iPad with GPS for about $225.

I am leaning towards purchasing an iPad with GPS so I don't have to worry about a separate receiver, locating it, and keeping it charged.

But my question is, should I go with the full size iPad or a Mini? The Mini takes less room, of course, but is the screen large enough to adequately show routes and info?

Thanks,

I have both and use both. I bought both mine with the internal GPS but I think in your position unless you are going to use the cellular portion to get the GPS I would buy an external GPS to be able to use both. But as far as which one to get or use, that all depends on your lay out and where you are going to mount it.

On my trip back from IL when I purchased my RV-7A, I used the Ipad on the seat because I did not have a mount. But on my travels back to FL, I played where to mount the Ipad or Mini and determined the Mini would be easier to mount and be out of the way and very excisable.

I am not sure about fore flight but I use WingX Pro and I was able to put it on both Ipads. I use the Ipad for planning since it has the bigger screen and the mini mainly for navigation on my trip but have the Ipad close. I also used the Mini in my Searey before I sold it.

I hope this helps.

The Mini fits much better than the full sized one. I have the Mini in my 9A after trying the full size.

If you already have the iPad mini and foreflight, consider putting your money into a Stratus 2. That way you'll get the combination of better GPS (WAAS) than comes in the cellular iPads and, plus ADSB-in weather, traffic and AHRS capability.

Or, similarly, Garmin Pilot and their GDL39-3D to provide the same functionality in a Garmin-centric world.

Agree with previous poster

Put your money in the ADS-B receiver ---- I have used both the -2 and mini in my -6A, but found the mini works better --- I was able to mount mine on the left panel, using a (modified) RAM mount.

Mini with built in gps works best for us in 7a. Ipad is too big and the Dual will either run out of power or you will forget it somewhere. In the mini we have cellular capability to get GPS chip set but have no cell plan. Keeps life more simple

iPad mini + Stratus 2

Chris -
This is what I plan to use in my -6. I used the ipad extensively in my Tripacer, and was a bit unwieldy. The mini is actually about the size of a standard approach plate, so is a bit easier to mount. In addition, the Stratus 2 will provide weather and backup attitude indication.

Sam

Mini with a fold over simple case protector. Added a 2 belt velcro web, and its my new kneeboard. Room is limited in the front of the 8.
BTW, I got the non-retina model with WiFi and cellular. With a glare film on it, the money spent on a retina display is wasted. (And I saved 200 bucks)

I have been using mini with a Bad Elf gps.
Works great and is small.
Fore flight pro also working great with no flaws.
Using a knee board set up with strap.

VFR only.

Weather

I will second the adsb receiver recommendation. Weather on board is worth it's weight in gold when you need it.

Disclaimer: I am still on XM and on the fence about switching over. But your situation seems like a no brainer.

Last edited:
ADS-B receiver

Thanks for all the help.

The Stratus 1 lists for $499.

The Stratus 2 lists for $899.

The Dual XGPS170 lists for $549.

From what I see the main difference between the Stratus 1 and 2 is the 2 has the AHRS. I don't expect that would be worth $400 to me.

The Dual seems to be equivalent to the Stratus 1.

Is there any reason other than the AHRS to buy the Stratus 2 over the 1?

Yes

I used an iPad 2 in my RV-6 for almost 3-years with Forefight. I still have the iPad 2. The nice thing about the full size iPad is that it has more viewing area than the mini. I started using the iPad mini with Retina 9 or 10 months ago. Both are great. In April, I added a mount to the iPad mini so that I do not need to keep it on MyClip. Both iPads are nice. I like the mini better. In a tandem or single seat, the iPad mini wins.

Both of my iPads have GPS built in. iPad 2 is AT&T was never activated. iPad mini with Retina is T-Mobile with FREE 200 Mb use each month. I do not use the cellular on either but value the built in GPS so as to not have another piece to forget, charge, or break. IMHO, the $130 for built in GPS is mandatory.

If you ask about screen size, many if not most aviation portable GPS units have a smaller screen than the iPad mini. As my ex-wife said, size is not important. It is how us use it that is important.

Any iPad requires an anti-glare screen to be usable in an RV. I recommend no case so as to take advantage of natural cooling. Have not had any inflight heating issues by making sure that there is NO CASE on the iPad. I do have a carry case for the iPad to protect it while in transit in my back pack but not the kind of case that the unit can be used with.

The Stratus is great. I did not have Wx in the cockpit till I got the Stratus. It is another device that gives GPS but it also needs its battery charged. If you get a Stratus, I recommend an aircraft adapter that will run the iPad and Stratus at the same time. This is what I use.

None of the fancy Gismos are perfect but I like the combo that I use. I spend less money on Foreflight Pro than I did on charts. I save enough on chart / book fees to pay for an iPad every 3-years.

Invest in the ADSB receiver. 3 or 4 folks have already said this and i wanted to recommend again. I know the cost to purchase a GDL or a Stratus is much more than a used iPad but you will not regret it. I purchased the Stratus 2 for my iPad mini for Foreflight, however, because I have a Garmin 796 I decided to sell the Stratus 2 and buy a GDL. Now I have weather and traffic on my 796 via bluetooth, weather and traffic on my iPad mini via Garmin Pilot App but more important in my mind is the accuracy of the WAAS GPS and Attitude that the iPad gained from an external GPS and AHRS source (GDL39D). This will provide a nice back up for me.

I am a mini fan for sure. Inturnal gps. Just mount it, power it and forget it. If I had one wish it would be an app to increase the brightness.
As far as wx, I just cant loose the 496 yet.
Ifr, 430 driving the trutrak ap.

Go fly the iPad first

Go fly the iPad and check out where you might mount it and how visible the screen is in direct sunlight. Don't worry about having an aviation app loaded, just go mess with the iPad in flight and see what you learn.

In my RV-8, there's not much place to mount an iPad and face up in direct sunlight is not a winning plan.

I really like Foreflight, personally.

Backup attitude might not be all that good

Using the Garmin ADS-B receiver with backup attitude source, there's quite a delay between moving the sensor and seeing the results on the iPad, maybe on the order of 400 ms. I've not attempted to fly using the GDL attitude sensor because of no good place to mount the iPad, but I suspect that the "transport delay" (as it's called in control theory circles) could make that backup sensor and iPad combination very difficult to use as an attitude sensor.

Go try it before you need it, and see what you find out.

?.......I do not use the cellular on either but value the built in GPS so as to not have another piece to forget, charge, or break. IMHO, the $130 for built in GPS is mandatory.

If you ask about screen size, many if not most aviation portable GPS units have a smaller screen than the iPad mini.

Any iPad requires an anti-glare screen to be usable in an RV......

The Stratus is great. I did not have Wx in the cockpit till I got the Stratus. It is another device that gives GPS but it also needs its battery charged. If you get a Stratus, I recommend an aircraft adapter that will run the iPad and Stratus at the same time. This is what I use.

None of the fancy Gismos are perfect but I like the combo that I use. I spend less money on Foreflight Pro than I did on charts. I save enough on chart / book fees to pay for an iPad every 3-years.

Chris, glad you found your RV-6.
I agree with Gary (mostly) on this issue. I use a iPad mini retina HOWEVER, rumor has it the next generation iPads, due out in a few weeks, are going to have a significantly better outdoor viewing capability. Apple is apparently adding glare reduction and from my experience they will probably do it better than any of the add-on products can provide. Get the Stratus 2and don't look back. If you want to spring for the GPS version of the iPad, so be it but the Stratus will provide a higher accuracy because Apple truncates the gps data feeds and Stratus does not.

Is there any reason other than the AHRS to buy the Stratus 2 over the 1?

The second generation Stratus adds a second (1090 MHz) radio for receiving more air-to-air traffic, adds an AHRS to support additional app displays and gives the pilot the ability to remote the GPS antenna to provide for additional mounting options.

The delay that you are seeing may be related to the iPad and not the GDL39D. I'm only assuming this because I have no delay in my Mini w/ Retina which is their latest version. I will say this . . . I've been using iPad apps in the cockpit for a while now. The App companies are really pushing the envelope with the features that they offer and add-on to their apps. As consumers we have to understand that an app that use to work great for us last year with our current device may not work so well this year because the app company has provided significant updates and features to their app. This has happened with almost all the aviation apps that I've downloaded and kept. The key word here is "kept".... Several aviation apps were one trick apps and stopped providing further development and have gone by the way side. The ones that have kept up and even lead the market develop their new features based on new hardware. So if you were running app xxxxx and really liked the functionality of the app, then they came out with a new wiz bang feature (let's say synthetic vision) on their new update, then all of the sudden you experience a delay and think "Ahh, this app stinks".... most likely it's because of your "older" hardware. That's why it's called the bleeding edge, it's because our wallets will have to continue to bleed money if we want to use these cool new features. :rolleyes:;)

I will be the lone wolf, crying in the homebuilt universe here, when I tell you that y'all are crazy to overlook the Google Nexus 7 tablet.

1. Faster processor
2. Better/brighter display
3. Built in GPS
4. Can be found right now for $109, after rebate. (Because the new Nexus 8 is imminent.)
5. Works great with Garmin Pilot and the GDL-39.

I owned an iPad, and sold it, after seeing the Nexus 7.

I will be the lone wolf, crying in the homebuilt universe here, when I tell you that y'all are crazy to overlook the Google Nexus 7 tablet.

Curious: What are the major differences between the Garmin Pilot/GDL89 3D integration on Android OS vs Apple iOS? Does Garmin Pilot on Android have the synthetic vision and attitude display as well? Any feature gaps between the platforms?

I have a mini up front (Rocket or -8), and my wife keeps the iPad 2 in the back seat for movies, music, or Garmin Pilot. A Garmin glo drives both with GPS data.

The mini is adequate for how I use it, which like a sectional. I look at what I want to look at, then stuff it in the side pocket again - it's really just secondary info.

IPad

I like the mini, fits on a knee board with a little Velcro perfectly, I use it on the back of the board, so I have the info on the broad too. I use the Bad Elf Pro, which works beautifully, and will connect with multiple iPads. I also use ForeFlight.

I have a 4 so space is a premium up front, I put the larger IPAD for the GIB (girl in back) so she can see the moving map too.

CW

I think you have all the recommendations you need, but I can tell you that my wife uses the iPad Mini (cheapest one) with a Dual, and Foreflight Pro, in our RV-10 and it's perfect. the Dual is amazing - I actually got a position reading in a room without windows (wooden house).

John

Very informative thread - where to go for overview?

This has been a very informative thread. The topic is new to me as I haven't investigated using an iPad for flying.

Like all useful threads there's a certain level of background knowledge and jargon assumed. Those of us who haven't researched this need to backfill.

Where would you all suggest to start studying up on the basics, and getting up to speed?

thanks

Full Ipad

I went with the full one.

FinishKit%20933.jpg

Got the ball mount from Ram Mount.

Running Foreflight is great.

No has mentioned the ilevil

I took the opportunity to look at the ilevil brand of receivers while in Oshkosh this year. I currently have the dual 170 but will be upgrading to the iLevil AW. This is the one that connects to your static system and will give you airspeed ( not ground speed ) as well as pressure altitude on iPad. I have both mini and regular and iPhone. I use wing x and love it. I usually travel with all three. I have had the pad overheat and shut down so a backup is more comforting. Especially since I do use it a the primary navigation tool. Don't fuss at me 100% of rv pilots I have talked to do the same thing.:D

Back