What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Guidance on Time to Complete the final sections on a RV-7A Build

Triumph1974

Well Known Member
Hello Everyone

I would like to get some general estimates on how long others have taken (in work hours) to complete the last stages of their project. I need to make a "work schedule" to figure out my schedule to have my RV7A project ready for taxi testing (will planning to painting, leg fairings/wheel pants, etc done after first flight) by July of 2014, and have the following major sections to finish working on:

1) set up and drill up aileron hinges to wing (should be 3-4 hrs I assume at max)
2) Install Wing Tips (~5 hr each max)
3) assemble empennage to fuselage (??)
4) Install wings /set angle and drill up rear spar bolt (??)
5) Finish up "little cowling" items such as side pin attachment connections/attach point on cowl, final trimming so cowling can be taken off with a 3 blade prop on the plane, etc (~10 hrs)
6) rigging of control surfaces (?)

Appreciate any info you all have to share and I will factor it in as I work out my work schedule for the next 6 months!

Thanks,
Paul

Hmm - I don't have an exact count of hours, but what you describe is approximately the list of things I put off until final assembly at the airport. Once I moved my 7A to the airport it took me about two months to be ready to fly - working three evenings a week and one full weekend day...

2) if you haven't fit the wing tips yet that could be a full weekend job.
3) assemble emp to fuse is about a one day job.

Good Luck Paul,
I think you heard right wing tips if your using No 6 screws will take a day to do both and then the wing roots fairings almost another day to fit after you have wings installed.

To final fit the cowling... boy that is hard... it could take a few days. but less than a week.

do you have the empennage fairing on yet.

What takes the time in all this is the nutplates.... drilling the holes goes fast.

Smilin' Jack

If memory serves me right, it took me one week (about 8 hour a day) to assemble every thing for the first engine run and also flight. Although, every thing had been perviously mounted/fitted and adjusted and this was only the final assmebly and check for first flight.

It is an exciting time so wish you the best.

Back