What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tire Pressure - Tubless Michelin Aviators

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
Looking for general guidance on maintaining tire pressure on the tubeless Beringer supplied Michelin Aviator tires.

The max pressure is 88psi.

I currently have about 35psi, but after some research, it seems choices for pressures are all over the place so I'm curious what the thought processes are on setting tire pressures. The number I found most was 45psi, for example. How did you guys arrive at that number?

Any advice appreciated!

Last edited:
I usually keep it around 45PSI, it rolls much easier and it is not too much to induce shimmying.

45 to 50 lbs has always worked well for me. I had an AI tell me years ago to just "Stand them up"! He wouldn't use a gage, just pump them up until they felt full.

I wanted to make a comment about Michelin leak proof Tubes. They are incredible. They do not leak down like other manufactures inner tubes. Yes they cost a bit more but not having to remove the wheel pants to add air is worth it, worth every dime!

If you are referring to the Michelin "air stop" tubes (not tires) then the recommended pressure in the documentation is 50 pounds. If you are used to factory built Cessna and Pipers then the 50 number sounds huge compared with the 20 pounds of a C-150 or a Cub. But remember those airplanes use larger tires like 600x6.

I've used the 50 pounds number from day one and I've been flying my RV-8 for 13 years. It works well and so do the "air stop" tubes. I highly recommend them. (Whatever tube Van supplied with my kit (I don't recall the brand) was awful and would require an air-up every week -- and that was sitting in my shop.)

I don't know the correct pressure number for other brands of tubes so please, this comment applies to Michelin Air Stop tubes only.

Chris

Back