What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flat black paint

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I used the can on the left to paint the cavity behind the lights in the wing. It bubbled up and was finicky. I tried to used it again for the glareshield and it was a tragedy. I followed instructions. Cleaned and primed well. Had to strip and reprep the glareshield.

The can on the right was a very good paint. Laid on even. No crazing.

I peel your fain! :D

I used Valspar to paint my interior and in certain area?s it did the same thing.

I had to wipe it off, scotchbrote it and reapply.

That was the hard part....i am to impatient and had to dust it several times and make sure it was dry after each dusting.

Man (or woman) was I P.O.?d!

Having used it on an untold number of motorcycle projects, cars, plus airplane bits here and there I can say with complete confidence the best rattle-can paint for this application is:

Duplicolor High-temp engine paint in low-gloss black (note, this is different from flat black).

The finish looks similar to a factory matte finish plastic part and is it tough as nails. Sprays great until it gets really hot out.

It you want it even tougher, bake it in the oven for a bit at 250F. I did this once with an inspection cover. Then tried to bead-blast it off. It was difficult to remove with an industrial bead blaster.

Back