What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DAR in San Fran. North Bay Area?

lndwarrior

Well Known Member
I'm trying to locate a local DAR for a special airworthiness inspection at Cloverdale Airport.

All the online resources (AOPA, FAA, EAA) don't indicate a single DAR in our area. The closest is Sac.. I don't know if these lists are complete or not.

Seems like there ought to be one closer but maybe not?

If you've used one in the area can you give me the contact info, please?

Yes, I did check with Oakland FSDO to see if they could do it and was told they would be "months out" and I should find a DAR.

Thx,
Gary

I'm trying to locate a local DAR for a special airworthiness inspection at Cloverdale Airport.

All the online resources (AOPA, FAA, EAA) don't indicate a single DAR in our area. The closest is Sac.. I don't know if these lists are complete or not.

Seems like there ought to be one closer but maybe not?

If you've used one in the area can you give me the contact info, please?

Yes, I did check with Oakland FSDO to see if they could do it and was told they would be "months out" and I should find a DAR.

Thx,
Gary

Looking at the DAR-T Directory, I found one in Stockton. (With Function Code 46)

"McGehee , Danny R Phone: (209)933-9910"
"805 Wright Ave."
"Stockton, CA 95204"

I was looking for the name David Morss when I found that. Dave has a good reputation and would be the guy I would contact.

Copy / Paste from above link (with edit on email address):

"Morss , David Steven Phone: (650)465-7727"
"775 Upland Rd. . Email: morss<at> pacbell <dot> net"
"Redwood City,Ca., CA 94062"
"Function 26, Limitation: None"
"Function 28, Limitation: None"
"Function 46, Limitation: Class: airplane, glider, helicopter, gyroplane, and seaplane"
"Complexity: metal, tube and fabric, composite, wood and tube"
"Function 47, Limitation: None"

The FAA has broken out DAR-T and DAR-F into two separate directories. DAR-T work out of FSDO and DAR-F work out of MIDO.

Oakland FSDO seems to go thru this cycle periodically. They say they're too busy, hire a DAR. Then you cannot find one. Call them back and ask for some names and phone numbers. They'll do some paper shuffling, then come back and say, there aren't any. I guess we'll send someone out.
However, expect to need a couple of months lead time.

Dave Morss

Dave did mine 6 years ago. I've known him for a long time through soaring, and also he consults with a small start-up company I worked for a while ago.

DAR

Fyi I can't even get a return call back from OAK FISDO. Gary what are you building? I noticed Brian Carpenter in Corning 503-824-0644 was on the list. He is only 1+45 by car from me. I'm getting close to finishing my RV-12.
Rich Clear Lake

Two years ago I used the OAK FSDO folks for my RV-12 ELSA inspection. It went very well and I enjoyed working with the two OAK FSDO inspectors. However, I did have to exercise patience since it was some three months between my initial inquiry and the actual inspection. Fortunately, I managed to fill that time doing some extra final detailing. It definitely helps your cause if you are fully prepared -- both process-wise and paperwork-wise. My back-up plan was to use Dave Morss or Brian Carpenter -- however, my "thriftiness" pushed me in the direction of an FAA inspection. ;)

price is right

"McGehee , Danny R Phone: (209)933-9910"
"805 Wright Ave."
"Stockton, CA 95204"

All others charged double of what Danny McGehee charged.

DAR for NorCal

Larrie Ricca 916-947-9588

Larrie resides in Sacramento Area and works throughout NorCal. I just used him on a Carbon Cub recently. He made the whole process painless. I did not shop prices but I felt I got my money's worth.

Last edited:
Yep. Oakland FSDO needed a couple of months for me, but they were great to work with and I was very happy. Once I was a few months to completion I sent them the paperwork and they were very flexible on actually coming out - I just called them when I was ready.

(Dave Morss is a great guy though - he did my FAA checkride when I got my private a zillion years ago)

OAK FSDO

I contacted OAK FSDO recently and Justin Louw told me they would not do an E-AB inspection due to workload. Right now, at least, you must use a DAR. Also, Dave Morss technically works out of San Jose FSDO, but can get authorization for OAK.

Back