What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

51%

Tom Martin

Well Known Member
Does anyone have an idea when the RV14 will be added to the FAA 51% list.
I am not sure about the US but if it is not on the list, and so far it is not, then in Canada there is another inspection required, $395!
This is just a paper inspection and the kit will easily pass but it is a pain to do and expensive.
Here is the link to the FAA sitehttp://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/ultralights/amateur_built/kits/media/amateur_built_kit_listing.pdf

MDRA head office advised me that I would not need this 51% ruling on my RV-14 project. So far so good. You should call them directly and see if things have changed.

Ron, when I spoke to the MDRA last year they said that I required the 51% inspection but to be honest they mentioned they weren't familiar with "14". I was planning to give them a call tomorrow about another matter so maybe I'll inquire again.

Cheers Jim

Ron, that is encouraging but when I spoke with the office today I got the word that if it was not on the list then it would need the inspection. I can certainly see the rational for a quick build but for a parts kit it is hard to imagine why they would need this ruling. Perhaps I will go a bit higher up the chain...

For a kit to get added to the list it requires having a review team from the FAA do a formal review of the entire kit.
This wont be possible until the entire kit is available.

I got cornered the same way on my SuperSTOL because it was not on the list. I knew it would pass but I did not want to risk any problems. It a small percentage of the total cost. I did it for piece of mind. It made the list about 9 months after my 51% inspection.

Back