What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingtip Lenses

KSRVR

I'm New Here
My recently purchased RV6 came with the
Airtech wingtip lenses (uninstalled) but not with the instructions for installation.
Van's does not have the instructions available. Is there a source out there for these or does someone have them that they can e-mail to me?

Last edited:
Wing Tips

Are these the old style lenses for the Horner Tips?
I have installed a pair on an RV-4 some years ago.
However, I do remember how I put them in.

Good question. I am getting ready to install the lenses in my RV-8 wingtips (new style) over my landing lights and AeroLED position/strobe lights. I plan on doing some test cutting of the material tonight with my dremel tool cutting disks. I'm worried a bit about cracking the clear plastic. Then I plan on using a series of #6 countersunk screws with the tinnerman countersunk washer to help distribute the load to the clear plastic. The only thing I'm really worried about is the cutting, drilling and countersinking of the clear plasic. I'm not sure if it is as sensitive as the canopy plexiglass. Any insight from the group would be appreciated.

Hey Sam, I installed the lens covers this summer on my rv8 with dash 1 wings. Same as yours I suspect. That plastic isn't anything close to the canopy or the landing light lens plexy. In fact it is then and flexible and I can treport that it seems to be quite resignation. I even started my cuts with my tin snips and it cuts like paper. Drilling was a non issue too. I still followed drilling technique as described on the canopy but it drills easy peasey!

Bill, you were right about those lenses. Pretty easy to work with. I was able to fit the right tip lense last night. I little dremel tool work, but mostly compound snips and file. I'll work on the nutplates this weekend.

walxfa.jpg

Back