What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Condition inspection, start to finish, how many hours?

rjcthree

Well Known Member
I'm well into my first condition inspection. I'm expecting to be into about 20 hours of labor, including a couple small mods, start to finish, including oil change. Is that consistent with others experience? 9A, fixed pitch, O320.

As an aside, I have an IA spending a couple hours FWF for an extra set of eyes.

Last edited:
If I don't run into anything unexpected, an inspection (including repacking wheel bearings) generally runs a day and a half. Say 12 hours. That 12 hours may or may not include an oil change.

But if I'm doing any upgrades or hit any snags, the time can grow exponentially.

I do a rolling inspection within the month it comes due. The cowl comes off, firewall forward gets inspected and the cowl reinstalled. The plane can now be flown to breakfast. Then the wheel pants and wing inspection covers come off for wheel/brake inspection along with control bell cranks. Everything is buttoned back up and the plane can fly. Same with fuse and under panel inspections. My plane is never out of service for more than 2-4 hrs at a time. The entire process is completed within a couple of weeks in small increments. This may not fit everyone's schedule but works well if only small chunks of time are available.

If I don't run into anything unexpected, an inspection (including repacking wheel bearings) generally runs a day and a half. Say 12 hours. That 12 hours may or may not include an oil change.

But if I'm doing any upgrades or hit any snags, the time can grow exponentially.

This is just about right from my perspective. Some take much longer. Very few are done quicker.

+1. This is way I do mine as well.

I do a rolling inspection within the month it comes due. The cowl comes off, firewall forward gets inspected and the cowl reinstalled. The plane can now be flown to breakfast. Then the wheel pants and wing inspection covers come off for wheel/brake inspection along with control bell cranks. Everything is buttoned back up and the plane can fly. Same with fuse and under panel inspections. My plane is never out of service for more than 2-4 hrs at a time. The entire process is completed within a couple of weeks in small increments. This may not fit everyone's schedule but works well if only small chunks of time are available.

Back