What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Leaky Parking Brake

LouFly

Well Known Member
We have a small leak coming from the parking brake manifold (1999 RV-6A) Is this repairable with an o-ring? I don't mind buying a new one it would just be interesting to understand what's going on, and there's always some risk of getting the exact right model.
UyqRNk9E1RVowCYedzKazySyUyr72Kt_OVaszr_Ix1ZQcQhZDVd7D-W-Ple3RMpTWECsNLPuWESvFGruP5i_6RuQKShx1KaBrIW6R-CWNLLdiT1dspghCYak9diN22oUZYhw4ZNMHYXFvnTXVNk3XO-v4lRzqGJZs0KhH0ozz7hMBICnFfZViAk-lbJUAbZCjzgOXs6hE-hDf22A4SAJitZz_89peUoFWlTR2rAz5KhuWJSD6vZcO5svVzxoMecpx5y_sXS2Aa9AzUWpah_PIpLvfsOSrxfg7TYguEZoj3tmHsQXJSWu4PRCYn9pPDNIMj7X2y6wd_klWxPw6psZdlCJs42z0xdbELYt6wPdf2ItoF9ILf7NCWezAlvKGndIjxDORAYGZwB0t7WLaqA9dIWCTsX5Id2NBPo5ZWXXYojNJ8Ex-3qZEKkNhT-vd9EIB_0vV679s2dNfWhJEcC3I5g3Vv7tf3vFIPNXKlkSWwOwqTAySi11bgX4Bq_WwpXyUsfgHZ4VatL8owVA-yAaYx60C5BylqnGprjWtxXu7OT09HF5N-Ua2l0O-mHksIqYxzd4fIXZ7TD8BS3zBuE6SeSXMnUbPAp89QOOWEj3Jlg=w648-h486-no

apologize for this post, but that's why I didn't install a parking brake. with no brakes I can almost roll the entire length of our runway, 5K feet, after landing. I need brakes to work and I need to work on getting as slow as possible for landings.

Thanks Gila. I looked at ACS - it actually looks most like the Cleveland (ouch $559), I may dive into the builder documentation and see if I can find it to be sure.

Steve M - I'm just the owner-operator; I have only used the parking brake once to test it. However solo on a real windy day at the pumps I may change my tune.

What sucks is diving under the panel and wrestling it out, risking that the plane may down for a couple weeks while I noodle out the right part vs. just checking the brake reservoir 1-2X per oil change cycles. But I guess everybody with an RV is familiar with that...

Last edited:
I would tighten the fittings before attempting to remove it. Doubt u can get a torque wrench on the fittings so try tightening a quarter turn. If it still leaks and u feel there is more tightening available try another quarter turn.
Technically, a -2 1/8" is 50 - 70 "lbs. a -3 3/16" is 70 - 105 "lbs.

Do you know what parking brake you have? I think most used a Matco it is a dark near black block with brake lines two on top and two coming out the front. the control lever is on the left side.

Where is your parking brake valve located ?

I had to remove and replace mine three times to finally solve the leak..

Go to the Matco web site and check the two parking brakes to see if you have one of them.

It is worth a lot of $ to not have to do that more than once. It is a real PITA!

Back