What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Flight Characteristics

Cth6

Well Known Member
Still narrowing down my decision on which RV.

Are there any other LSAs that have similar flight tendencies? Before I decide on the 12 vs the 9 I will try to get a ride in each. Making the financial commitment to build on a discovery flight it a bit of a gamble. I only have 1.4hrs in a Tecnam Eagle and the rest of my time is in 152s and 172s. Ideally I would like to see if one of the local flight schools has that LSA, so I can get a few hours of flying in our summer weather. Also would like to take my wife up to see how she handles the ride during the thermals.

I have seen posts about the heat in the cockpit, but any FL flyers want to comment on how hot it gets in the summer? Nothing like throwing the windows open on a 172 before you hit the taxi way to cool down after landing.

Thx in advance.

Still narrowing down my decision on which RV.

Are there any other LSAs that have similar flight tendencies? Before I decide on the 12 vs the 9 I will try to get a ride in each. Making the financial commitment to build on a discovery flight it a bit of a gamble. I only have 1.4hrs in a Tecnam Eagle and the rest of my time is in 152s and 172s. Ideally I would like to see if one of the local flight schools has that LSA, so I can get a few hours of flying in our summer weather. Also would like to take my wife up to see how she handles the ride during the thermals.

I have seen posts about the heat in the cockpit, but any FL flyers want to comment on how hot it gets in the summer? Nothing like throwing the windows open on a 172 before you hit the taxi way to cool down after landing.

Thx in advance.

In the -12, with the koler shade and new canopy bracket (let's you crack the canopy open while taxiing)...not really a problem. As to 9 vs -12; the 9 is faster, but costs more to operate. Got to decide on "mission"....mostly local -12, a lot of x-country the 9. Just my 2 cents.

The 12 is easier to enter and exit. I also find it is more comfortable. I still like the 9's and they are very fuel efficient, although they do require avgas. Don't tell Vlad I said this. I am pretty wide at the shoulders and the 9 is considerably tighter with a passenger. The 12 is no problem. .02

You Will Love A -12

My wife does. After eight years of flying her own very nice C172, she moved to a RV-12 and would never go back. Its controls are light, handling is nimble, visibility is excellent and operating costs are low. The -12's size makes it easy to hangar and to push around by hand.

With the canopy cracked open, the prop breeze makes taxiing in the Florida summer sun acceptable. However touch and goes and low altitude maneuvering such as turns around a point do lead to heat build up. The answer, an Arctic Air cooler that provides relief for at least 90 minutes.

Unless you need four seats, acquire a -12!

Not quite the comparison you’re looking for… I owned a real nice J-3 Cub for 23 years. Flew it 1100 hours. I agonized about selling it when I bought my 12 eighteen months ago. Everyone clamors for a Cub - thought I’d miss it. One flight in the 12 and I never looked back. The 12 is a beautiful airplane anyway you want to measure it.

I used to fly the Cub with the door open. The 12 gets plenty of ventilation in flight and excellent on the ground with the canopy ajar. You’ll want a retractable sun shade. Visibility in the 12 is eye-popping, I think even better than the Cub.

You’ll love the way the airplane flies. Control harmony is perfect. I still have the RV grin with almost 200 hours accumulated in just 18 months and I don’t fly in the winter.

Cruise is on par with C-172 or Cherokee and the 12 will easily out-climb either. If you want X-country flying then get the two-axis autopilot and sit back and go…

Same old question.......

Why do you want to build an airplane ?

Answer A: Because I want to fly that airplane Wrong ;)

Answer B: Because I want to build an airplane Right ;)

If you want the airplane, go buy one. There are many 12's and 9's around.

If you want to build an airplane, the 12 is far easier, can be built solo with minimal extra help, goes together super quick, flies like a dream, gives you the RV grin and is ultra economical.

Drop me an email and I will let you have more info. I have built a 7, an 8 and we are half way through 2 12's. Sadly, you can't buy it as I am in Perfidious Albion (the old country :D)

In the -12, with the koler shade and new canopy bracket (let's you crack the canopy open while taxiing)...not really a problem. As to 9 vs -12; the 9 is faster, but costs more to operate. Got to decide on "mission"....mostly local -12, a lot of x-country the 9. Just my 2 cents.

Mainly breakfast runs within 150nm and a few cross countries to see the kids in college or a long weekend in the keys. Yes, who wouldn't want more speed but I am generally happy with my 172 cruise of 118.

The 12 is easier to enter and exit. I also find it is more comfortable. I still like the 9's and they are very fuel efficient, although they do require avgas. Don't tell Vlad I said this. I am pretty wide at the shoulders and the 9 is considerably tighter with a passenger. The 12 is no problem. .02

I sat in a 6 and a 14. Both were plenty wide for me and my wife. No one was around the 12 at SNF to get a feel of the cockpit.

My wife does. After eight years of flying her own very nice C172, she moved to a RV-12 and would never go back. Its controls are light, handling is nimble, visibility is excellent and operating costs are low. The -12's size makes it easy to hangar and to push around by hand.

With the canopy cracked open, the prop breeze makes taxiing in the Florida summer sun acceptable. However touch and goes and low altitude maneuvering such as turns around a point do lead to heat build up. The answer, an Arctic Air cooler that provides relief for at least 90 minutes.

Unless you need four seats, acquire a -12!

Thanks Bruce. Still trying to get my wife to take some lessons, even if just for the pinch hitter training. She has held the yoke a few times but just tightens up when I let go. It will just take more time I guess.

Thanks for the feedback on the airflow in the cabin. Almost all of my time has been in high wing with the built in sun shade. Last low wing was a t-34b and mainly in the winter months.

First time seeing an arctic air was at SNF this year. Guess I really just did not pay much attention to them before but sounds like that would be great for cooling the cockpit down a bit.

it is nice to have four seats every once in awhile, but I will probably continue to rent for that mission.

How does the 12 handle our summers in Florida? Pretty much dawn and dusk flying?

Not quite the comparison you?re looking for? I owned a real nice J-3 Cub for 23 years. Flew it 1100 hours. I agonized about selling it when I bought my 12 eighteen months ago. Everyone clamors for a Cub - thought I?d miss it. One flight in the 12 and I never looked back. The 12 is a beautiful airplane anyway you want to measure it.

I used to fly the Cub with the door open. The 12 gets plenty of ventilation in flight and excellent on the ground with the canopy ajar. You?ll want a retractable sun shade. Visibility in the 12 is eye-popping, I think even better than the Cub.

You?ll love the way the airplane flies. Control harmony is perfect. I still have the RV grin with almost 200 hours accumulated in just 18 months and I don?t fly in the winter.

Cruise is on par with C-172 or Cherokee and the 12 will easily out-climb either. If you want X-country flying then get the two-axis autopilot and sit back and go?

Never have been able to fly in a cub. Was offered a ride a few weeks ago, but had an instructor arriving shortly for my BFR. We had some strong winds that day and the cub was almost at pattern alt by the end of the runway. 2 axis AP is definitely on the list of must haves.

Same old question.......

Why do you want to build an airplane ?

Answer A: Because I want to fly that airplane Wrong ;)

Answer B: Because I want to build an airplane Right ;)

If you want the airplane, go buy one. There are many 12's and 9's around.

If you want to build an airplane, the 12 is far easier, can be built solo with minimal extra help, goes together super quick, flies like a dream, gives you the RV grin and is ultra economical.

Drop me an email and I will let you have more info. I have built a 7, an 8 and we are half way through 2 12's. Sadly, you can't buy it as I am in Perfidious Albion (the old country :D)

I would say yes for both. RVs are nice looking planes, glass panels, customizable to the mission. I have always had a passion for being hands on as opposed to just paying someone else to do it. It is not about saving money, it is about the pride of doing it.

I'd be glad to give you a 9A ride sometime if you can't find one in Orlando - I am a short hop away at ZPH. One benefit of the 9 vs the 12 is the slider canopy option. As soon as I roll out I open the canopy and stay nice and cool on the ground. In flight, the Koger sunshade, combined with a static-cling sunshade that I can move around the canopy as needed, help keep things tolerable. Nice thing about the 9 is that the climb rate means you can be at a cool altitude very quickly.

Regarding cost-effectiveness, the 9 can cruise on very little fuel if you throttle back.

Different planes for different missions, but if XC flying is a substantial part of the mission, my vote would be for the 9.

Chris

Last edited:
N121TK

Cth6, check your PMs.

I had the pleasure today of spending the morning with Tom and his -12. First off, Tom is a great ambassador for the RV-12 and the Vans community. I was able to experience my first ride in a -12 and the experience quelled my concerns about flight characteristics. A pretty typical Florida morning and even with the normal unstable air the -12 handled it without a nasty response.

N121TK is a plane to be very proud of. You can clearly see the attention to detail Tom put into each step. Tom had answers for the barrage of questions I threw his way as we debriefed on his build.

Thanks again Tom. Hopefully one day I can treat you to a flight in my RV.

I thought Jeff Skiles EAA mag article about flying the 12 to Oshkosh from the Pac NW was enlightening, you may want to check that out.

I enjoyed your comment on trying to get your wife to take some lessons. I have a wife who really didn't like flying much and while she would go on short hops if the destination was good enough, she had no interest in flying IN the plane , let alone flying the plane.

I have often wondered if it's easier to get a non-pilot spouse more interested in flying if they can be convinced to do some work on the building project.

But then I couldn't figure out how to get a spouse interested in working on the building project.

Best of luck.

there are a couple of things to take into account with the 12 that really make the decision to build / buy a different plane difficult if your mission is VFR and you are making cross countries of a couple of hours or so.

- It runs on standard car gas or 100LL, and is really only using about 4.5gallons an hour, that is some cheap flying.

- Rotax engine, you can take a course and do the maintenance yourself.

- its a very simple plane, fixed pitch prop, no wing tanks, no primer, no mixture.

- simple but it has (or at least most) an autopilot and the G3X or dynon glass cockpit is beyond excellent.

- its roomier than you think and has a very good load range, being able to fly with two large adults and full fuel.

- very responsive and a great deal of fun to land.

I'm sure there are a bunch more, but I know a lot of people that have owned far more capable planes and love their -12.

But if you want to get IFR certified, or your mission will include IFR, or you want to get into aerobatics then you have to look at something else.

Quote: - "Rotax engine, you can take a course and do the maintenance yourself".

To clarify, whether you build or buy an RV-9 (E-AB) or RV-12 (E-LSA or E-AB), the owner/pilot can do all of the "maintenance" required. Only the annual Condition Inspection requires special consideration. The original builder of an E-AB (or an A&P mechanic) can sign-off the Condition Inspection. For an E-LSA, the owner/pilot (whether builder or buyer) has to take a two-day special course to qualify to sign-off the Condition Inspection of an E-LSA that they own. Alternatively, an A&P can do the Condition Inspection on an E-LSA. An S-LSA (unless converted to E-LSA status) is treated like a standard certificated aircraft and must be maintained accordingly.

Last edited:
I thought Jeff Skiles EAA mag article about flying the 12 to Oshkosh from the Pac NW was enlightening, you may want to check that out.

I enjoyed your comment on trying to get your wife to take some lessons. I have a wife who really didn't like flying much and while she would go on short hops if the destination was good enough, she had no interest in flying IN the plane , let alone flying the plane.

Thanks, I will look for the article tonight. My wife's first flight was our first date. Guess I didn't scare her away 24 years ago. She still is very much a fair weather flyer. We are heading for a short overnight on Thurs and she is already asking about the weather.

there are a couple of things to take into account with the 12 that really make the decision to build / buy a different plane difficult if your mission is VFR and you are making cross countries of a couple of hours or so.
...But if you want to get IFR certified, or your mission will include IFR, or you want to get into aerobatics then you have to look at something else.

Azjulian, I still have access to 172s and a 182 if I want to add passengers or if I want to go IFR. My days of acro have probably passed, so that is not on my mission. At 120kts I am nice and happy.

Quote: - "Rotax engine, you can take a course and do the maintenance yourself".

Definitely going to take the 2 day course. In the club I learned in (Navy), we were required to help with the maintenance, annuals and the plane washing. If you didn't you received a bill for $50 that quarter (Equivalent to 1 hr of wet time in a 172) If I only knew back then to keep a log of how many hours I worked under an A&P.

Back