What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heatbox contol cables penetration

oren_rokach

Well Known Member
Hi,
I am designing my avoinics panel, and wish to put the cabin heat knobs on the right side. see the two knobs near the 12v port, below the 7" display

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WMidUrRBe0tHG0oJXEyx1k6PTZ4a9m0F/view?usp=sharing

Can you comment on my suggested location? would be easy to route the cables to this location? I understand that routing/bending them is quite difficult, even though by browsing through so many panels, I see builders locating them practically anywhere.

are you using aftermarket SS penetrations for these?
Any guideline would be very helpful!
Can anyone share some pics of their FW penetration of those cables?

Thanks!
Oren

I have not installed these yet (getting close though). Planning on using the stock pre-drilled hole in firewall that Van's designed for this purpose. It's almost directly behind your knob location on panel and should be very easy to install in the stock location. Planning on covering opening with 3M Fire Barrier 2000.

ACtC-3eIF3093Bis0gM7zDlBhRyTjnNA6KMqyrnMw56oFvMMeLCleLH0OhbXF-2SOfcW_I1mqDSwKS9O4JwbSPcfm5btWfcMPhhR2AAlGoV7Dz3aRGufwZOM6jQJr1ofeiWsHG3mQSkyCkPOG4vFY7rOgFL7lw=w1022-h766

I have not installed these yet (getting close though). Planning on using the stock pre-drilled hole in firewall that Van's designed for this purpose. It's almost directly behind your knob location on panel and should be very easy to install in the stock location. Planning on covering opening with 3M Fire Barrier 2000.

ACtC-3eIF3093Bis0gM7zDlBhRyTjnNA6KMqyrnMw56oFvMMeLCleLH0OhbXF-2SOfcW_I1mqDSwKS9O4JwbSPcfm5btWfcMPhhR2AAlGoV7Dz3aRGufwZOM6jQJr1ofeiWsHG3mQSkyCkPOG4vFY7rOgFL7lw=w1022-h766

+1

These holes leave the cables in a good position fwd of the firewall. They also allow the cables to easily go under the sub-panel to preserve space there. It will be easiest for the cables to terminate low on the inst panel.

Larry

Tnx!
Do you think 3m fire barrier and the two clamps on fwf will hold through vibrations and push pulls over time

Tnx!
Do you think 3m fire barrier and the two clamps on fwf will hold through vibrations and push pulls over time

Look at the plans. They call for adel clamps to hold the bowden cables. No need for sealant to hold them in place.

The exit through the firewall and the nearby clamp pretty well locks that location down. Anything you seal it with should not be subject to motion from use. And if you look at the plans for Van's routing, you'll see that it is actually pretty easy to route however you want. It's simple Bowden cable, which has a minimum bending radius. But other than that, it is flexible and can go where you want it to go. Caveat: this cable will flex between where it is attached during use. Avoid long unsupported runs.

Back