What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Duckworks install - tape

FlyGuy65

Well Known Member
2003 vintage -7 and Duckworth kit. Instructions say to use masking tape to pull the lens tight before drilling. Leading edge is built, but not installed. I cannot understand why one would use the masking tape method in the instructions vs a firm push from behind the lens. There is a comment about putting the lens in too tight, but unless I really force it into the leading edge from behind, I don't see much difference. Am I missing something, or is the masking tape method really meant for a completed wing?

Thanks!

Duckworth tape

Hi

I think you will find the tape is only required if doing the install post leading edge fit , it allows you to snug it up before drilling off
Make sure it?s warm and don?t tighten the screws to tight or you will risk cracking it .
Hope this helps

Mark

I just installed lenses on completed wings. I saw the same comment in the instructions where Duckworks says use the tape method because if you push from behind you can get them so tight that you then can't get screws through them or whatever.

Based on that, I tried the tape method on the first wing and wasn't happy at all with the result. Maybe I wasn't doing it right, but I ended up with the lens flush top & bottom but recessed about 1/16"-3/32" at the leading edge. Not much, but enough to look goofy.

On the second one, I pushed in from the back side by putting my hand in through a lightening hole in the end rib. Worked much better for me, so I ordered a replacement lens from duckworks and re-did my first attempt.

Last edited:
Back