What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint for Engine Baffles

rvanstory

Well Known Member
I've decided to paint the aluminum pieces of the engine baffles. I have some PPG single stage urethane left over from interior that would be the right color.

Has anyone painted their baffles with "automotive paint" with success? Or, do I need to use a high temp paint?

I use PPG single stage urethane for the interior and all firewall forward aluminum, including baffles. The oldest project is now pushing 20, and it still looks like new.

I use PPG DP-40LF as the primer under the urethane.

Carl

I've decided to paint the aluminum pieces of the engine baffles. I have some PPG single stage urethane left over from interior that would be the right color.

Has anyone painted their baffles with "automotive paint" with success? Or, do I need to use a high temp paint?

Once mine were all fitted, I took them all and had them powder coated. That stuff is tough. No regrets.

It was a mistake to powder-coat the baffles on my C180. Over time, the paint flaked off. And the baffles got dirt embedded in them that I've been unable to remove.

I won't make that mistake on my RV-3B.

Dave

23-years ago, I painted my baffles with a rattle can of paint. Except for chips and bugs, it has held up ok. High temperature paint is not needed.

Maybe a dumb question, but why are people painting their baffles? Other than looking good when the cowling is off, paint adds unnecessary added weight (ounces add up to pounds) when a simple bath in alodine will provide all the corrosion protection needed.

I used white rattle can Rustoleum Professional a decade ago. Holding up just fine. You HAVE to prep the surface though. I etched and Alodined before paint. If you just shoot it on un-preped surfaces, it will flake off no matter what you use.

Maybe a dumb question, but why are people painting their baffles? Other than looking good....

That's my only reason. I realize some build solely to fly and functionality is the most important consideration (weight VS looks). Others want to add some appearance into the equation. Neither approach is wrong, just different strokes for different folks.

Nason Single Stage Urethane

I used car paint for my whole RV and its great. I used Nason Single Stage Urethane. It is impervious to MEK and fuel. It lays down nice and looks smooth and shinny. And expensive. Used it on my baffles and it works there too.

I just used a spray can heat-resistant silver auto paint over SEM self-etching primer.

Still looks good after a couple of years.

Last edited:
Powder Coat

I had a local shop here in town powder coat mine. It seems to be holding up OK so far, although I?ve only got 10 hours on the engine.

Back