What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Filtered air box question

rvanstory

Well Known Member
Installed the Filtered air box today and getting ready to form the transition from snorkel to FAB. I added 1/8? washers between FAB and servo as per instructions to accommodate for engine sag down the road. When adding the washers, I had to raise the bend in the front of the top plate to line up with top of snorkel. It looked like quite a bit of change. Plus, I?m concerned It won?t be aligned properly until that sag occurs.

Ran across this thread with same concern. Notice his pic of the gap it created. One builder didn?t worry about it and had no sag. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=71583

So, my question is, should I plan for 1/8? sag and use the washers? If yes, do I need to do anything for phase 1 flights before sag has had time to occur?

The washer are for the pre-sag state. You remove them if/when the sag occurs to bring the FAB up higher to it's original position. My 10 hasn't sagged yet, but engine has only been on for 6 months. My 6A sagged 1/8 - 3/16" I put an 1/8" phenolic spacer in to help with heat issues in the servo. I can trim it down or remove it if/when my sag occurs.

If you have relatively tight seal, sagging will create issues. If the interfaca has some slop or play, it may not be necessary to shim.

Larry

Back